What's new
What's new

Turret realignment help needed

dalewrc30

Plastic
Well I was just starting to feel that I was getting to grips with my SQT15MY when I managed to miscalculate and ran my tool into the jaws by 2mm.The result seems to be thet the turret has been rotated down,the tools are cutting 1.5-1.6mm under centre in Y and overcutting by 1.5mm on X(diameter).
I've looked at the schematic but dont feel much the wiser.
Can anyone help talk me through the process of realigning the turret?I've tried the local reps but so far I havent managed to get to talk to anyone who can help,all too busy. :(

there is a fair amount to do here and i'm headed out.(would take me more typing than i have time for, damn hunt and peck)
i'll check back later today and if no one has got you there yet i think i can get you through it
basicly you have to loosen the outer (i think)bolt pattern on the front side of turret under cover plate.
not sure but its not the set that holds turret on shaft,it's the set that holds curvic(big crown gear) in place
and then in the back of the turrett behind all the covers is a gear(the farthest back in)that rotates turret.
it's on a shubin (pinch)couple holding it on the shaft.
you loosent that also
and then pursuade (in any fashion you can)the turret back to centerline.
this is all assuming it is the same system as my sqt/ms
DON'T
try to index turret once you have all these bolts loose as everything is just loose and will spin freely once turret unclamps
i'll be back
sorry
after you get tuttet back on center
there are going to be some timing issues still, if this is a live tooling machine
i'll be back
good luck

I've been through the procedure WITH a Mazak tech, and it's not trivial.

wippin' boy seems to know his stuff.....try to wait till he gets back!!

Thanks,I'd really appreciate that.I was thinking that seeing as it has Y axis movement,I could line up a boring bar holder with a piece of 11/2" held in a collet chuck and use the handlewheel to bring it back to zero.Would this be ok?

I had the same problem a while back and whippin boy and Machtool? (Phil from Australia) walked me through it. No Y axis, but it really wasn't that bad.

Heres the link to thread to give you a jumpstart.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/13/1845.html?#000000

One more thing when they tell you to indicate everything, do it, you probably moved the chuck out of square also. Squaring up the turret really wasn't that bad, I could probably do it in a couple of hours if/when I have to do it again.

I wouldn't suggest trying to move it back the way you are suggesting, that could just lead to more troubles down the road. Do it right, square it all up, headstock included, and life becomes so much easier.

geese i'm blushing all over
all following statement based on my assumption you have the same Mark II live tool turret i have
first thing to do is make sure the head is straight.
take a skim cut. about 15 thou(sorry my brain don't do meters)on an 1 1/2" bar maybe 5 inches (1000 rpm will do it)
if you got more than a thou or 2 straighten that first.
theres about 6 big bolts(shcs)and some push me pull you adjusters pretty straight forward.
skimmed through Mac's post on pulling turret and checking pins. good stuff
you may not be that bad
you can move these things 20 or 30 thou. without bending stuff.
---(the following can be done by just sweeping a drill pocket but you got c so might as well use it)---
put your y on center line (-0- i guess i don't have a y on my mazak so i'm sure what you call centerline with a y)
your next check is to put a big dowel pin in a vertical holder and sweep up and down in x axis.
this will show your radial error on the turret.
if it runs out more than a thou over a couple inches your turret is wacked off center.
you can try to move it back without taking turret off.
index turret 180 degrees away from #1 tool. go in back of turret and lossen the before described bolts holding index gear with pinch couple on shaft(the one back in you can barely see not the little stuff right in front of you(look in the book it's the heavy gear close to the back of clamp cyl.)
i do this first 'cause it's next to impossible to get at all the bolts in one tool position.
now index turret around to #1 (i do this incase i end up pulling turret,this puts tool endcoder in the position to light up the little light so when you put turret back on you can get it set).
loosen the rest of the bolts
now pull center cover on turret
loosen the bolts holding the curvek coupling discussed (outer circle off the top of my head)
i snug these back up just a tiny bit
now DO NOT IDEX turret with all this stuff loose.
with your c locked and set at -0- sweep over the dowel pin and find the high spot
set indicator to -0-
a small test indicator with a very rigid mount
can't have no wobble sht going on with your indicator.
back away from pin in z (don't move x,this will change your -0- point)
rotate c 180 degrees
pass over pins high spot again
should read zero
if not
move turret so it does
i use a pretty good size hammer with an aluminum bar to protect what your hitting
some use a bar wedged in turret and just pull on it.(i,m too scrawney for that i need so real power)
with any luck you should be able to get back to center
if not you may have to pull turret and replace pins
i've been known to leave pins out.
you loose a little regidity but future wacks are easier to repair
all depends on how often you plan on wacking it.
once you get back to center tighten everything back up
sometimes stuff moves a little when you tighten it back up
if it does you just have to go through it again
your next issue is wether the live tooling will engage and dissengage properly
a dead give away is to watch the mill load meter when you index to all pockets
if you see the load meter spike up over 25% your out of time on the little gear that is right in front off your face when you look in the back of turret
(about 1 1/2 diameter)
it's mounted on it's shaft with the same kind of pinch couple just smaller and with the bolts mounted in a separate little ring that screws on shaft.
allways figured there should be a parameter to offset this thing but never called mazak to find out.
what i do is index turret around and find the location that spikes the meter the worst(it will kick gear out and alarm at about 60%)
being very carefull cause we have power on
i squeeze the big belt that goes up to servo
this holds little gear in place
loosen the pinch couple
remove threaded ring
slide little gear back and forth on shaft
meshing in big gear
hold it still and tighten it down
if your lucky and it not alarming out and dissengaging gear but is still up around 40 or 50% on load meter you can just loosen little bolts and let gear relax to it's happy spot.
the reason you have to be carfull here is if the thing overloads the servo while your in there it could alarm out and move gear with your little fingurs in the way.
BIG OUCH
if any one has a better system here
please pipe up.
this should get you where you need to be
it would be great if you could get macs phone
i would be happy to talk you through this but the phone bill would kill you
if you need. send me a pm and i'll give you my number
wish i was a better technical writer
i'm sure this my be hard to follow considering my midwest U.S. slang
but don't worry it ain't that bad
and i'll keep close watch on the forum mon. for your questions
one bolt at a time, life is good

good luck
it's no worry ;)

G’day Dale.

Guys. I wrote to Dale, and told him to follow Wippin’s instructions. I’d do it about exactly as he would. I gave him my phone number, so if he gets in a bind. Similar time zone too. I think N.Z is only 2 hours ahead of here currently. And call charges aren’t that bad.

Pity, I had one of my guys in N.Z all of last week. They could have sorted that out in beer. – Regards Phil.

thanks for the help mac
small world a
so could you send me one of those koala things
think my kearn terrier would love a new friend.

Wippin' boy and machtool have been really great and given me some great advice.
I've managed to get the turret almost back on centre.Have been able to check the headstock is ok and have moved the turret from being about 1.6mm low in Y up to about 0.3mm however that seems about the limit.Rotating the turret further leads to X not running parallel.
Is anyone able to suggest any parameter settings to correct this?Have tried A5 +A14 but not sucessful.

Back