What's new
What's new

troubleshooting a Mazak turning machine

julius42

Plastic
Not sure where to post a question on troubleshooting a Mazak turning machine. Anyway i bought a used Quick Turn 8 with a mazatrol cam T-2 and the machine will not return to home, as soon as the emergency stop is released a warning comes on about z axis overload. Any ideas would be a great help.

Yes the ball screw will turn when the machine is off.

I believe the previous owners had the machine in storage for a long time so i have just left the machine on with emeregency stops depressed thinking the battaries on some of the boards will charge. As far as the control goes i have created full programs already and checked them, i wish i could do a simulation however the machine needs to return to auto mode for this to occur and that means it needs to return to home position.

Any thoughts about machines that have been left in storage.

Note: After leaving the machine on for a few hours some options came available such as the option to enter g-codes into the program.

do we know we got the right voltage on machine?
i would say after a few hours batteries would not be an issue
but i'm not sure
with the machine turned off
you could take the connectors off the z servo
this would tell us if the motor is burnt generating the alarm
or the drive is bad
maybe
use caution undoing canon connectors if you unfamiliar with them make sure you unscrewing the right ring(the one with the knurl) and not the nut that holds connector together
also watch where you lay the connectors down
the pins will be energized dount lay them in a puddle or chip pile

if motor is bad alarm would change to servo lag or no feedback something instead of overload
your gonna want to get new batteries in that thing soon
and you need to get in and get parameters backed up asap

I had a QT8 that sat for years unused which lost a few parameters as the backup battery got weak..just enough to make it do some wierd things. Unlikely the cause in your case, but just something to check if you get desperate.

yea i did get a copy of the parameters on paper, some of them have changed and i changed them back, also some of them i cant change comming up with input error. I have 3 pages of parameters on the machine but i have 4 pages on paper. So its probably the parameters and the machine is lost. Any ideas from here would be a great help.

I would like to say thanks for the help otherwise i wouldnt know where to go or who to talk to about such problems. THANKS

The parameters are stored in eprom and are sent to ram during initialization. If the battery fails there is a procedure to retrieve the parameters from eprom. If anyone wants a copy of this get in touch and I will provide it.

Regards

The machine was made around 1988 if that makes a difference in how to retrieve the parameters, just more information about the machine.

As far as parameters go I can mail you all you will ever need, I must have three copies plus have them on disk in CMT format for the QT-8 (I have an 86 with a T2)

pm me if I can help.

I also had problems with axis overload alarms, did just about everything, replaced resolvers, cables...all of it. Ended up being the drives, both needed repair back at the mits factory. If you can post the LED error code off of the drive itself it would help. Make a call to MIts with that info and I bet they can tell you what to look for. In my case whippin boy and Mits both got it right right off the bat.

No ball screw binding, no way covers binding?

Hey whippin boy how does one replace the backup batteries and where do you get em?

julius
unless your comfortable swappin some electronic componants around it may be time to call some service help
this doesn't sound like any perameter problem i have run into
nervis
they look like 3 alka selcers in shrink wrap
there on a board in the nc card rack
you get them from mits or you can get them made up at
the local batteries plus but you got to have one to
show them
theres 2 metal brackets held by phillips screws holding the boards in
take them off
then there are 2 little plastic levers on the
top and bottom of boards you lever against the card rack
and "pop"
there in your hand
the batteries are held on board with screws
and the guy at mazak tells me theres a cap and resister set up on board that gives you some amount of time to change out battery
unless your getting battery alarms
your good
if you are
open up nc cabinet with machine on and look at card rack
you will see a little red LED on one of the cards next to the letters --bt-- thats the card with the bad battery

Have you check for an obstruction that could be physically causing overload, if machine sat a while maybe it was not clean out well enough before storage? just a thought.

Cobb

Hi Julius
I can advise you
Before make S ram clear or retrive the parameters etc
could you tell me what is the LED's situation in your Z axis driver, also could you move Z axis near in the middle when the machine power off.May be ball screw nut is touching to the plastic stopper.
If Z axis have any elect failure the LED will be indicate the almost correct things.

MKM

Not: If someone help me about MAZAK SQT 15M T plus cont inductosyn scale i will be grateful.This rotarty scale in the rear of the spindle motor shaft.80 mm inner dia,162 mm outer dia.
where can i get this scale as an alternative from Mazak

Sorry
Is there anyone help me about Mazak İnductosyn scale.
I want to buy for Mazak SQT 15 M spindle inductosyn scale .
Inner diameter :80 mm
outer dia: 162mm
thichness :42 mm.
The scale maker is Mitsubishi.
Regards
Memo

Thanks wippin' boy
I know i can go Mitsubishi,we are refurbish the old machine, therefore we need as possible as lower price parts.This very expensive i am searching the equivalent parts.I know the Farrand and Heidenhein produce such as component.But i did not use before ,therefore i need some information if you have experinece before.
thanks
Memo

On the servoboard for the z-axis there is a fan to cool out the components, the fan is probably clogged, not running. This makes the alarm.

Like "COBB" said, check out the back of the machine to make sure it isn't packed with chips and other stuff, we had that problem a while back, once we scrapped the crap out, the problem went away.
( take the guards off on the tail stock end of the machine, you'll be able to see clear into under the way covers this way) :D
best of luck

Back