What's new
What's new

Mazak Upgrade

WKN

Plastic
First off I want to apologize for this post being too long but I want to provide enough info to get a good answer from all of you. I have worked in the same small shop for the past 18 years. We make 3 different products one of which is my baby. I have been using a 1986 Mazak Quick turn 10 with a T1 control for the past 16 years to make my product. My product requires mostly simple operations such as facing, turning, boring, and parting. The Quick turn 10, our only CNC machine, has served us well through the years. The problem is that the machine is getting old and the electronic gremlins are starting to get restless. My boss has bit the bullet and decided to start looking for a new machine. We will be looking for a machine with larger capacities and a lot newer control. My boss has enrolled us in the 640T control class in KY. Next month. I would like to know what to expect. Will I be lost? Is this the right control for us? What will be some of the biggest differences between what I have now and the 640T control? Keep in mind I am not afraid to learn and I also realize that the technology has probably changed a lot since my machine was built.I have been watching this forum for about the last month and I have learned alot already. I value your opinions and look foward to reading your replys. Thanks

Our first new cnc machine purchase was a 1988 Mazak Quick Turn 8 with a T-2 control.I would say the learning curve on this machine was about 6 months before we were real comfortable with it.Since then, we have added 3 more Mazaks. A 1995 QT 15N with a T-Plus control,A 1996 VTC-16 with an M-Plus control, and a 2003 Nexus 250 with a 640T control. The milling control is a whole different animal, but the turning controls are basically programed the same. If you can program a T-1, you should have no problem with a 640T. The differences are in the many features available with the newer controls. take the time to read through the manuals and get familier with all aspects of the control, if used properly the newer features will make your life much easier.If you don't, you will probably hate it. Keep in mind that everything happens way faster on the newer machines. Verify your tool data,chuck and tailstock barriers,run simulations on all programs and you will be fine. The best thing I ever did was to attend a 3 day Mazak training course at the Chicago tech.center, after we got the QT8. I think you will be very happy with the decision to go with Mazak again.I would still prefer to get a used Mazak lathe over a lot of new machines that are quite popular these days.
Good Luck....

Back