What's new
What's new

Mazak Options...help?

Valiant

Aluminum
I'm looking to buy my first cnc lathe, and have decided on a mazak, probably the qt-100.
I was able to get a printout of the features, both standard and optional, and though I've been setting up and programming mazaks for 2 years now, I'm not really sure what some of the options are on this printout, or if I might want them. The sheet is from 2003, so I'll assume prices have changed since then? Hopefully gone down?

If anyone could help me answer some questions, i'd really appreciate it. I'm not sure how the machines i use at work are setup, but i'd like something that performs the same to what i'm used to...

High Power Coolant 59psi, 16gpm $1,000
-I plan on machining mostly aluminum, but possibly some stainless and titanium as well. Never having worked with titanium, is this something i should definately consider?
High Power Coolant 118psi, 16gpm $1,500
-If 59psi is good, is 118psi great?
Auto Power Off (breaker trip) $660
-I assume this is a safety feature? Would it be unwise not to have it?
Overload Detection $1,800
-On the machines I use at work, when an operator lets his carbide drill inserts wear into nothing, the machine stops and a red overload message comes up, requiring the machine to be restarted. Does overload orotection prevent this, or is that what the overload protection is?
Turret Air Blast $1,700
-a blast of air from the turret? Why?
Auto Parts Catcher $3,600
-We've got one of these at work, and It's nice. Definately something to consider, but the price seems ridiculous, can they be had more cheaply elsewhere?
Automatic Chuck Jaws Open Close $1,600
-Is this just a parameter option? Without it will I not be able to use a bar puller?
Chuck Open Close Confirmation $1,500
-What is this?
Chuck Air Blast $1,000
-A blast of air from the chuck? To blow parts off?
Main Spindle Synch Tapping $4,800
-Useful for what exactly?
Chip Conveyor Rear $5,500
-All the chip conveyors at work use the side exit, which I think is preferable. What about this? Anyone have experience?
Side Exit available with special quote $?????
-Anyone have any idea what it might cost for side exit?
EIA/ISO input function includes: $2,200
user macro 100 variables (82 common)
macro interruption
user macro (600 common variables)
EIA/ISO code input function
Selection of workpiece coordinate system
direct entry of drawing dimensions
-Sorry, I'm lost. Is this for if i want to use cam software?
EIA/ISO conv. Req IEA/ISO Input Function $4,800
-again, no idea...
Absolute Positioning System $1,800
-Is this primarily for machines with more than 2-axis?
High Speed PC-Card (k6-233mhz) $1,700
-To do what exactly?
PCMCIA Interface (2-slot) $610
-Why might I want this?

IC Memory Card Interface $720
-Again, clueless
Barfeeder Interface Kit $4,700
-I don't have immediate plans to pop a barfeeder on this baby, but is this something I will need if i eventually do?

sorry for the long list of questions, but I'm not yet ready to speak with a sales representitive, and when I do, I'd like to be well informed...

Also, if anyone has more up-to-date pricing for the qt100, or another small model, I'd really appreciate hearing it.

Those prices are outrageous. But......it's not like you can go to Kragen or CircuitCityWorld and get chinese aftermarket bolt-ons.

...Based on my experience with an SQT250M....

The air is for blowing parts and fixtures clean for unnattended pick-and-place. Which means you'll also need the auto chuck M-code ability...but confirmation??? My machine auto-confirms by NOT functioning further when something hasn't actuated.

We got the EIA option, and I've yet to use it...but....I probably will since I love macros.

We have the parts catcher too (love it when it works correctly) but no chip conveyor (more trouble than it'd be worth for us).

There are times when I wish we did have the high pressure coolant. You'll notice the flow rate is the same (16gpm), so higher pressure means a smaller stream. Does that mean you're going to have aiming issues?

I hope some of you other guys can help out here, since I remember what it was like trying to sift thru options when we bought.

Aside from the above mentioned stuff, let's see if I can explain some more for you....

The coolant pressure @ 16gpm is measured through a particular sized orifice. I believe the newer pumps are not static so I would opt for the higher pressure rating, then you can take some psi out if you want.... its harder to add it.

Auto Power Off (breaker trip) $660

This feature automatically shuts down the machine at the end of cycle. For example: you have a long cycle part started and its time to go home. You can flip the switch for the auto shut down and when the program is finished, the machine will shut itself down. Useful for leaving at night or running a part on the weekends. Although with the Fusion control, I don't recommend this. I just leave the control on to keep from booting over and over. Plus, if you accidently happen to have a dead battery, :eek:

Overload Detection $1,800

Hard to say. There are several types. Could be electrical, spindle related, turret related, tool data option....

Main Spindle Synch Tapping $4,800

I assume since the spindle would have more power than live tooling, this would be useful in large taps. I'd think you could just turn it though. Not sure here.

Chip Conveyor Rear $5,500

Check on what this really means. I've seen "rear exits" actually describing what some people refer to as side exits. Basically, "rear" relative to the axis/spindle direction, not rear facing the machine. If its not what you're looking for, Mazak should have a listing of other types.

EIA/ISO input function includes: $2,200

All of this is worth having. Will cost way more to install later.

EIA/ISO conv. Req IEA/ISO Input Function $4,800

This allows you to output Mazatrol programs in a ISO G-code format. Not to be confused with Mazak 3-digit format. Theoretically, you could output a Mazatrol program through this and load the program into another lathe (say Fanuc controlled) to run a part with minimal editing. It also has some use in transferring a Fusion program to say a T32 control and run.

Absolute Positioning System $1,800

Encoder option? Not sure. Seems strange. Maybe scale related? :confused:

The rest for memory and interface stuff is a data related. Faster control settings and better trace capability, use of memory sticks/cards for large programs or transferring programs, etc.

HTH.... :D

Thanks guys!

Looks like I won't be spending all of that $40,000 for the features...

what exactly is eia iso input? Is this required to hook up a computer to transfer programs?
With only one machine (for now), and the ease of writing programs in mazatrol, I'm not sure if i'd ever need a computer for that purpose...
I would however like to have the option to use cam files (another thing I know nothing about, but would like to learn...)

Fizz, I've never written a macro, and am not even sure how it would work in mazatrol...could you think of an example of when I might use this?

And just clarify, auto chuck ability is required for using m-codes to open/close the chuck? Dear goodness that seems like it should be a standard feature...
I plan on using a bar puller for a lot of my work, so I suppose this is something I'll have to shell out a few extra for :(

If anyone has any other pertinent information I'd really appreciate it. I need as much information as I can find to convince the bank I know what I'm doing...(I've almost got myself convinced... ;) )

Sync tapping is like rigid tapping in a mill.

On my Fusion 640T the M-codes for bar work are:
M68/M69 Bar feeder command 1/Bar feeder command 2
M72/M73 Chuck internal clamping/Chuck external clamping
M06/M07 Chuck open/Chuck close
....Stuff you'll need if you want to do automatic bar work.

I use macros on my mill for jobs that need similar features but different dimensions. Don't like the way Mastercrash handles O-ring grooves, so wrote a macro that makes the tool do what I want it to do, and all I have to do is input the minor/major diameters, and the depths right at the machine.

They're also handy for doing non-linear moves that would require off-line CAM programs, or that Mazatrol just doesn't do.....like programming the machine to increment some dimension on every 5th part up .001, then just before it goes out of tolerance, it drops back down to the other side of the tolerance and starts over....just to drive the poor schlep on the next shift nuts trying to figure out what's going on....

Meanwhile, let us know what Mazak says the 'absolulte positioning system' is. I kinda thought that's what 'Home' was all about.

We have several Mazak lathes, and I think the best options we have added is the EIA/ISO and the high powered coolant.
We added the high power coolant to the last 3 machines we bought and have noticed a significant jump in our insert life and we were able to go up higher on speeds and feeds when drilling with a coolant fed drill. All the other options I feel the cost doesnt justify the benefit.

Excellent, now I have a much better idea of what I need and don't need.

Does anyone happen to know what a qt-100 goes for nowadays? maybe a qt-150 or qt-200?
I've got a printout with the price, but it's from 2003.
I've refrained from posting the price here, as it seems they'd rather have people not know how much it costs. Maybe it's really not a big deal?

Another question, what is the difference between a "universal turning center" and a "chucker" It appears to be $1,900 more for the universal turning center than the chucker...

if you ever want a bar feed get a universal
i believe absolute is a true position scale system
not sure
look around for your chip conveyor eveyone that builds a conveyour can spec. a mazak

chuck open/close con. is a set of switches helps with mischucked parts but not foolproof
auto power off is an option to shut machine off at a given time or what ever. you could leave machine finishing up the day while your at the tavern
you might want card interfaces if you do programing off machine to load programs back and forth
you can get that barfeed interface done at anytime you buy barfeeder

kevin zerky at precision services in chi will do it.
high power coolant is a plus
you can do it yourself out of mcmaster car
tell ron from mazak kevin from modform says you get the family discount ;)

Mazak charged us about $105,000 (with an educational discount) for a used '99 SQT250M with the soon-to-be-world-famous 150 point inspection (which I don't know if I'm all that impressed with).

Mazak set the machine up and did the initial training. ---Ian Bailey, to be precise. Quite the character, and most knowledgable! But he only does new and warranty work.

Anyway, the live tooling adds a big chunk to the price, but if your jobs warrant it, live tooling can be a big time saver. Too bad the tool holders are in the $2k range each.

I would love to get live tooling, but this is a first machine, and the most important aspect of my stat-up business, and I need to keep costs as low as possible.

If things go well, I'm hoping at some point in the future to buy another larger machine with more capabilties.

I'm going to the IMTS show in september, so I suppose that's the perfect time to get everything straightened out. Anyone else going?

Get as many options you can afford All my Mazaks are fully loaded (I Have 8) and I run them 24-7 with 5 employees especially my Integrexes a 200-SY Robot loaded and a 200y barfed.

High pressure coolant is a must! although I have had problems with the grundfoss pump.
Chip conveyor is a must
eia/iso input is an absolute must for doing certain things mazatrol just cant do efficiently IE:P/N and Logo Engraving
although I have no use for the conversion function
absolute position system is so you do not have to send the machine home after a power off
(wish I had it but it was not available when I bought mine)
Over load protection is not needed if you know what you are doing and unless you are going to be running unattended for a weekend or longer although I have the option I never use it.
Auto power off is not a must unless you plan on going home at night and do not have enough material in your barfeeder or on your robot table to make it to morning.
Auto parts catcher-this should be a "no brainer"
some of the options you can just turn on yourself in the parameters if you take a little time going through the electric circuit diagrams and parameters but be careful.
Work piece coordinate system?? not needed on a lathe.

Good luck!!

Hello ,
I have a Mazak T1 control and because of discharging batteries i lost the machine parameters . So when I try to start up the machine has the alarms :
14 ROM 1 fault
18 ROM 3 fault
and then shuts down the CPU .
How can I enter the program manually to reinitialize machine parameters ( I have them on a list )

Hello mtty,

Pls, post the model type and all list parameters ...and then the best solution for you

HA

Amazing that you should bump this thread today!

Yesterday I got a quote for a QT-100 with parts catcher, chuck jaws open/close, and a barfeeder interface kit for $81,000. How'd you manage to get one for so much cheaper?
I'm sure I'll be able to haggle a little bit, but $10k?

I bougth it at IMTS show.They told me it was a show special. I geuss it paid to go to the show. Also the machine was in stock which was nice.
I have bought 6 machines in the last year so I soppose I get a better discount.

Where do you buy your Mazak out of?

This is the first, looking to get started. Right now I'm not in much of a position to bargain, as I need to make an effort for people to even recognize me as a serious buyer

I think the Nexus QT250 start at around 95 or 98K. Which is less then I had expected. Looks like a nice machine.

The QT250 is a nice machine. I'm thinking that a year or two down the road when/if it's time to get another lathe that'd be the one I get (hopefully with some live tooling and second spindle at the very least ;) )

I do have another question though, this regards coolant.
I haven't yet decided on what coolant to use (probably hangsterfers S-500 or blaser something), but how much coolant can I expect to go through on a montly basis for just this one machine? Parts will be small, most less than an inch diameter and a few inches long, some up to 2inches diameter and 6 inches long. Also some titanium and maybe brass or stainless.
I'm trying to price all of the operational expenses, and this is something I'm having a hard time with.

Hangsterfers and Blaser are both pretty good, as long as you keep the tramp oils under control they both last a good amount of time. How much coolant you go through will depend on things like temperature and humidity, if you leave the skimmer on too long and what not, water evaporates eventually.at my shop we go through a 55 gallon drum every one - two months depending on conditions, 15 machines all together plus saws etc.

Back