What's new
What's new

1984 Mazak Fanuc

levik

Plastic
Ok, right away I need to put out there I'm a computer tech, not a machinest, but I have been given this task, so I come to you. From what I've read it seems like the right place. We have an '84 Mazak Fanuc running G-code. The machinest has no problem with this, actually he only wishes the machine could do larger milling. Our boss wants to cut out a step though, between the CAD designer and the machinest. Is it possible to upgrade the controller so that the designer can send the parts straight to the CNC or the machinest so that he doesn't have to write the g-code? If so, what programs can do this? We have both Inventer and Solidworks(don't ask why, I don't know). Any input would be greatly appreciated, and if you need more information let me know I'll talk to the machinest and get more. Thanks for the help!

If I'm reading that right you are asking about CAM software? You can browse through the CAD/CAM forum and get some idea of what is out there.

There are some newer controls that can accept CAD files but you still have to tell the controller where to cut, and that gets converted to G-code in the background. That fanuc won't do it.

So basically to do this without upgrading I need software that converts CAD to G-code? Is it possible to upgrade the controller on the mazak?

As far as upgrading the control,
the only way I know of is to retrofit another control. Think round abouts 30k by the time you get done.

Cheaper to get a CAM system and send the g-code code to the machine. Most systems are pretty fast once youlearn how to use them. Example, on a pretty simple mill part 2.5 d would take maybe 5-10 min to be walking out to machine with the code on a floppy.

Is this a mill or a lathe?

It's a mill. So a CAM system, what would you recommend. I've been researching all morning and I'm not sure which one best suits my needs. Thank again.

Like I wrote look through the CAD/ CAM forum here just about every system pros and cons are discussed at some point. Then pick a few, call the company and get demos and a quote at your place. Price wise 500 bucks to over 60k depending on what you need and want. I'd avoid the 500 dollar versions. you can get a good CAD/CAM package for under 3k if all you do is 2d parts. 3d kicks things up a notch but not too bad. Add 4-5 axis and you add several thousand at least. If you need to design and make a jet fighter then that would be the 60k version.

Back