What's new
What's new

rigid tapping

jimjam

Plastic
Hi guys ,
having a lot of trouble when rigid tapping on a 640mt using 8mm taps ,they keep breaking, i have tried all sorts of taps . coated, uncoated, roll taps but the end results are the same,broken taps, any ideas for helping me to resolve this problem??
cheers in advance

the material i am having the most problems with is tool steel, in general the taps break when tapping 6 holes on a given pcd into the face of the component , all tapping is driven from the turret and tends to be 15mm of thread into a hole 24mm deep, checked out the drill size and if anything i am drilling oversize.

regards

Sorry,... Roll tapping or cut tap? 24mm is a long way to go even with 8mm tap. I'd probably try to add a reamer to the hole to make sure the hole is on size and location all the way down. A good coated tap will probably work better too in tool steel, .... or using a tap lube of some sort like MolyDee or something. In some cases, I've actually had to peck tap the holes.

Roll tapping is the process I generally use with a 7.4mm coated drill, as for using tap lube, it’s a no go at the moment, the machine is bar fed , the company wants maximum production and those upstairs don’t think its a good idea to stop the machine to add a cutting lube, so I am stuck with coolant as a cutting lube , as for pecking never gave it a thought , will have to give it a try.
cheers

Jim,
What machine are you using?
We have an older VTC serices with a M+ control.
We had heck in the beginning when we would rigid tap. Then Mazak offered a suggestion. In the tool file there is an option that says aux. There you can select fixed and then change your returning feedrate to 50%. This helped us alot on tapping.
Regards,

Hi,
OKLAHOMA running a relatively new machine, its a integrex 300 with a 640mt control, still having a few problems, but it looks like I have been running to slow when tapping, 10 m\min, have doubled this to 20 m\min will have to monitor it and see how it goes.

cheers

Back