What's new
What's new

Turn spindle on with door open

Johnmhenderson

Plastic
I want to know if there is a g or m code i can use to turn the spindle on with the door open. I am running a fusion control lathe,. The door interlock will not allow you to have spindle on with the door open. Please help.

On top of the machine there is a door sensor switch, all you have to do is find a clip(some machine come with a key) and jam the switch.....blah blad, that's it.

Texas has it right. The machine probably came with two "keys". You could easily make one. Take some steel, 1/8 thick by 1/2 wide by a couple long. Look at the tab that sticks in the hole looks like for an idea.

So in effect you don't really go in and change anything. You just fool the machine by making the door think it's shut. Simple enough really I guess.

I've never cheated a machine tool door switch.
Well, I can't lie, maybe once or twice.
CatMan, you got mail.
Some times you have to tell the electronics the door is closed as well as you may have to tell the electronics the door is not open.
Sometimes their is two switches.
Regards Walt.

John,
Make sure you won't get fired before you do anything with "safety" stuff. Some places are crazy stupid about safety.

Rob

We have 11 lathes(4Mazak,5Mori,2Hitachi) in our shop and we ran with the door open.... on all of them.

I knew about the switch block,but I heard of a code like m31 that cancels the door interlock. However if it doesn't work the power will shut down. Has anyone tried this? And thanks everyone for your replys. Very funny wippen boy. I mean that in a good way.

John

Can I just ask why you need to by pass the door switches? I know it’s real handy for test running programmes. I get this all the time, being in the service capper. 3-4 year old machines, and the operator wants to by pass the door interlocks all of a sudden.

Why? Because he can’t see any more, because the window is shagged. I can often change the safety glass or polycarbonate cheaper and easier, than by-passing the switches and opening myself and my customer up to that can of worms should something bad happen.

It always amazes me, the logic in that instance, cant see through the window any more, so get rid of the door, rather than change the window. Happens to me all the time.

Viewport’s or Visiport’s are also a possible solution.

Cheers Phil.

mach's on the right track
shut those doors guy's
the face you save may be your own
window2.jpg

the speed of these things(1500+ ipm) means it is impossible to hit that e-stop button fast enough.

What I should have said is that I just watch the machine aproach the material in set up and it is still in single block. Also i only have the door cracked, not open all the way. Sometimes you can't hear chatter with the door closed all the way. It's not like I am running wide open with the door open all of the way. I am very careful in all I do, I have been doing this for 23 years and never crashed or had a part fly out on me. I am not stupid. Maybe this is a little clearer.

John

Steady up man. No one was calling you stupid.

See the little symbol on the end of my first sentence. ?? That would be a question mark, and hence forth a question. It was just a question. And I just about answered it in my second sentence.

I was just relaying a personal observation, some what near topic, that when I’m out and about in the field, I see this often. Bypassing the interlocks, for the sake of a dirty window. That’s all, nothing more, nothing less.

Hang around here for a while, and you will get to know, we often go a touch off tangent, or try to predict a question. If any one was having a dig at you, it wouldn’t be a subtle as that.

Regards Phil.

We've bypassed all of our door interlocks on all of our Mazaks. Most of the parts we cut have threads on them and normally have to knock the burrs off with a soft wheel grinder prior to gaging. It sure is easier to deburr while the spindle is running. I know there is a safety issue there, but we also have a lot of manual machines that we been running for years and they don't have any enclosures with safety interlocks.

Rather it is a lathe or a machining center, it is convient to be able to run and or jog the spindle while indicating things. I'm for safty but sometimes you need to really look at something like a tenth indicator on the back side. Using a mirror and a flash light. Hard to do with the door closed. If the safety door is there, by all means use it but, leave the option open to open the door and look at something. I am thinking more of the maintenance department than I am of production. Keep it safe but when you are repairing it, get it right. Sometimes it is har to get it right if you can't see what you are doing.
I like to run the spindle by the motor either slow speed or jog. It seem to be more accurate than trying to rotate the spindle by hand. The variable speed you turn it be hand as well as the stop and starting when rotating by hand give you some false readings.
Let us not forget the Lock Out Tag Out requirements that cause yellow tape to be strung up all around the machine your are trying to trouble shoot.
Enough for now.
Regards Walt

23 yrs without a crash? thats pretty damn good we have 10 lathes and 9 mills all with the door interlock lied to just use common sense i personally started on screw machines and its neat to see all the work being done. dont think you can see through any of our windows and even if you could the lights are out

Kinda gets back to the anal activated E Stop Button. The speed for this switch being activated is in direct relation to the pucker factor of the situation. Don't really matter, door open or door closed.
Regards Walt...

Hey I actually had a guy from OSHA out here rag on me about killing the interlocks on my lathe, so I challenged him to set and run the machine with them enabled. Oh the window was clear too. What do you know ...he admitted it was almost impossible .

Back