What's new
What's new

Mazak new part policy

OKIEMACHINIST

Aluminum
I spoke to a service tech today and he passed on some interesting info. He said, that one of his techs was ordering a pump from Mazak and found out that if you have not made a part order for a machine (every serial number) in the last year you must now pay a $3000.00 set-up fee to Mazak per machine that meets this one year time period.
I was floored by this and also mad. I personally have 10 Mazaks. Thus, if I have to order a special O-ring that its gonna cost be $3K. No way!
I personally haven't confirmed this with Mazak, but feel the source is pretty reliable.
I invite any input if anyone has confirmed this or not.
Regards

No way Id buy that. I got a used Mazak lathe a while back, I know it was in storage prior to being sold for some time, at least a year and I must have ordered 10k worth of stuff for that machine, a piece at a time over several months this was between seven and two months ago roughly. No one ever hit me for any fee like that.

I made part orders through their on line order system and by phone.

Dave

Well I called my Mazak rep to get the details on this charge. He said this charge is only for used Mazaks that have been sold to a new owner. They are implementing this charge in January. He said it is for technical support, applications, and part support for used machines. So beware and get ready if you buy a used Mazak to pay for the technical support and part support.

I talked to a Mazak service tech Monday about a t-1 control. I had 1 yes/ no answer. He said I neded to have the shop register this machine so they could get service support. Cost 1500.00$
I guess i won't be recomending any Mazak machines either.

How can a company that gives such poor support in the first place get away with it?

If I service a Mazak and try to order parts for a customers machine they wont even talk to me as a service company.

This company is starting to get quite a reputation for trying to screw customers over.

If you buy a used Mazak why in the world would you pay this? Cause you have no other choices ?

What a joke

I think Mitsubishi has a similar program in place... Back to the Mazak thing, I bet enough refusals to even talk to a salesman selling new machines might change that policy...

I found them to be a big pain in the ass to deal with last year. I did some repairs on a maunal lathe . And there dealer in Seattle a bigger PITA. But the guys in Salt Lake City where real good to deal with. My costomer had a list of about 10 things they wanted prices on but in the end only ordered 4 or 5 items off there list but Mazak tryed to send every thing off the list.Ken

FWIW-

This policy is an outgrowth of Mazak not being able to hire and retain service people.

It's especially bad in the oil patch.

Call Mazak in Houston to schedule a service call and see how long it takes for it to be scheduled.
Then wait and see how long it takes for them to show up.

Hitachi charges $1,500 to get "in the system" just to order a part for one of their EDM machines. I can see some charges for phone tech support, but just to order a part is insane. Staubli (robots) for example, charges $1,300 for 10 hours of phone tech support (10 hours total, not per year) and there is no charge to order parts. That seems reasonable enough. Charges of $1,500 to $3,000...sometimes *per year* and *per machine* ..just to do anything are nuts.

If Fanuc ever starts such a program, I am SOL !

I knew this was going to be a big problem....

Mazak hasn't implemented the policy just yet, it's being considered. Price also isn't set at $3K, its "suggested". This could be higher :eek: , maybe lower. A couple of you have already been asked to pay???? I sure hope some of the tech centers aren't jumping the gun here. I'm meeting with Mazak in a couple hours on this very subject. Now, I don't buy any used Mazaks (all of them were purchased new), but this has a serious affect at many levels.

I think Mitsubishi has a similar program in place...
No, they don't... and don't plan to (Mitsubishi electronics anyway). I just had a discussion with them yesterday about this and some concerns over Mazak's "new policy". There will be more with some other OEMs as well. With enough support from OEM and other friends, maybe we can prevent it from happening. Maybe not, who knows. But definitely a voice across the boards wouldn't hurt.

I think this charge is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!!!! :mad: I'm a big fan of Mazaks, but this is definately not "one for the team".

:D
:D :D

Mits. Edm has a $2500.00 charge if you buy a used machine. That is a fact.Unless you buy the used machine from there used machine division.I think it is bogus to sell machines then screw the guy who bought it new, because whoever buys his old machine will not pay as much for it because of the fee.Then screw the new owner by making him pay a fee for service and support. They make a killing on there parts,you would think that would cover the fee.Maybe they will wake up to the fact the guy buying the used Mits. could be a new customer someday,however does not buy a Mits. at all because of the fee. I guess Charmilles and Agie don't mind this stupid thinking. I would have gotten a used Mits. but i am not paying that stupid fee. If Mazak does add the fee i hope they pay for it in the long run.

Sodick (EDM) also has a "get in the system" charge...can't remember exactly how much...at least $1,500...probably more. As I said before, understandable if you need one of their guys for hours on the phone to help with a problem, but insane if all you need is a part.

The parts I needed from Hitachi I made myself just to avoid the 'in the system' fee...they lost a sale, I wasted time..ridiculous.

Chiron UK used to do something similar for phone support.They don`t anymore as it was costing them sales.
Mazak`s service over here is every bit as bad as elsewhere in the world.I have a customer who had them out three times at a two year old machine that was deviating 0.060" on a bore in brass and they kept telling him there was nothing wrong with the machine that it must be the programming,this was on a barfeed part.
Any subcontractor who buys a machine from a company with their reputation for backup and service deserves all they get.The guys who have them should be getting rid of them before this becomes common knowledge or their assett value will go through the floor.
Mark.

Glad we bought our machines new. You would think they would charge you for 10 year old machines as well. I mean they are way past any type of warranty. LOL

I was discussing this again with a tech. He said it's Mazak's way of killing the used machine market so prospective buyers will buy new instead of used. I'm sure if Mazak owners would tell their Mazak reps that this is total B.S. and next time they won't consider a Mazak because of this ridiculous charge, then they may reconsider it.

For those of you who buy new, it may hurt you in the long run also. When it comes time to sell the machine it will probably be more difficult to sell or you won't get the total value of the machine, when the buyer knows he has to pay a annual fee to keep it running.

Mazak is so full of ****. I own several Mazaks...all but 1 purchased used. I think a charge for phone support is reasonable. I never use their phone support...as I usually know more about what I need to know than some dip**** on the other end at Mazak. If ANY Mazak is out of warranty, charging for phone support is reasonable.
But, this bull**** about charging a "setup fee" just to order spares parts is insane! Mazak, as well as most other builders, charges at least 4 TIMES the amount most parts should cost.
Case in point: I needed a sliding way cover for the Z-axis on my QT20N. Mazak quoted $3400. I am having a brand new one fabricated from stainless steel, at a local sheet metal shop, for $750. Eat me Mazak.
I am sure Mazak believes this policy will tend to make more shops purchase a new machine, rather than a used one. Mazak can kiss my ass!
Most of Mazak's new machines, especially the "Nexus" series, aren't built nearly as well as the older machines. When you "value engineer" a machine tool, you're basically making it cheaper, period.
Mazak is full of **** on this one. And they are going to here it from me.
Greg Hale

For those of you who buy new, it may hurt you in the long run also. When it comes time to sell the machine it will probably be more difficult to sell or you won't get the total value of the machine, when the buyer knows he has to pay a annual fee to keep it running.
Yep...typical short range thinking...may help their bottom line in the short run but will hurt them in the long run.

Mazak, as well as most other builders, charges at least 4 TIMES the amount most parts should cost.
Case in point: I needed a sliding way cover for the Z-axis on my QT20N. Mazak quoted $3400. I am having a brand new one fabricated from stainless steel, at a local sheet metal shop, for $750.
And the salt in the wound being the only reason you needed the cover in the first place was that it was a dumb design to begin with ! I too have been down the Mazak sliding way cover disaster..where they used collapsing type where they could have used one sheet like Okuma, but didn't, and now we the customer have to pay out the whazoo for their screwups. FWIW, most of those covers are made by Hening and can be bought off the shelf direct from Hening at about 1/2 Mazak's price.

Another insane price is replacement Mazak monitors...$3,500 and up for something that ought to be maybe 500 bucks at most. Luckily one can usually get them repaired for a few hundred bucks by outside sources.

Hey Nervis1,
Why did you sell the QT8N? Usually, once all the bugs are worked out, the older Quick Turns are rock solid reliable.
What type of cnc lathe did you replace it with?
Greg

Back