What's new
What's new

HTC-400 Tool probe question

Volitan

Hot Rolled
I was told that there is a way to have the machine go over to the tool setter and check the length to see if it's broken after a run. I couldn't find it in the manuals, does anyone know anything about this?

We don't use IEA if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
David

I think this is an option. I can't remember, all the Mazaks I use have it. In EIA, you just use a macro sub call at the end of the toolpaths and it checks for tool breakage. I think in a Mazatrol program, it uses the same macro only you start the macro sub from Mazatrol. Check your 9000 programs or system disks (if you have any) to see if you have the Tool Break Cycle (or Check) sub program.

What control is on this machine?

Phsycomill, I've been meaning to ask you this too, since you seem to have quite a bit of Mazak experience.

I can't find anything in the manual regarding a tool breakage check cycle for use in EIA mode. The machine is a PFH5800 with Fusion 640 control.

G37 is Auto Tool Length Measurement and is an option. Personally, I've never used it. Look in the Fusion Programming EIA manual. It's in section 18 (page 18-1) and it describes its usage somewhat. Your tool offset type (type A or B) will affect this as well. This isn't quite the same as Tool Break Check though. You may be able to use it in that manner but like I said, we have the sub routines from Mazak installed and it uses the M198/M197 measure (as I recall).

The systems I've always used is the Tool Break Check cycle will measure the tool then place the tool length into a system variable and/or Tool Data page (Mazatrol side). Since I always use EIA tool offsetting, the program then compares the measured length from tool data to the length set in tool offset. If the tool length difference is greater than the value set in the Macro sub call, then the machine alarms for broken tool. Other safeties are in place for this as well..... no tool in spindle, no preset tool lenth, probe in the spindle, etc, etc.

G37 on the other hand, will actually either set a tool length, or set an offset in the tool wear (this is what depend on the tool offset type on the machine). This is basically more for using the machine as the control for tool blends, depths, etc. Tool break check is simply just that... a check for tool breakage. It doesn't update the tool length.

It's a Mazatrol M Plus control. Since I don't have a job on it right now, I just went out and tried a G37, and it says I don't have that option. Which is fine if that's just for setting length.

Also, G36 just says "mis set g-code".

I don't seem to have any system disks with the machine, I'll look again.

It looked like I was going to have to store it in a variable and check against it, but I thought I would ask here first because that seemed like something they might have had a code for.

Thanks,
David

This is from memory....

O9000(BROKEN TOOL DETECT)
(IF USING MAZATROL TOOL DATA)

#100=#[60000+51999](GETS TOOL LENGTH)

M196
T[#51999](MEASURE TOOL IN SPINDLE)
M197

(COMPARE BROKEN TOOL AMOUNT .5)
IF[#[60000+#51999]LT[#100-.5]]GOTO999
(TOOLS NOT BROKE RESTORE LENGTH)
#[60000+51999]=#100
M99

N999(TOOL IS BROKEN)
#3000=21(TOOL*IN*SPINDLE*BROKE)

hth

Sakis. . . absolutely brilliant !! :cheers:

Thanks for posting that. I've been thinking about that for ages but never really done anything about it until forced to yesterday when 3 shifts of production had to be re-worked due to broken 2mm endmill.

I've had to make a minor correction though. There were a couple of # marks missing.
Works great.

Code:

#100=#[60000+[COLOR="Red"]#[/COLOR]51999](GETS TOOL LENGTH)

M196
M197

#[60000+[COLOR="Red"]#[/COLOR]51999]=#100
M99

N999(TOOL IS BROKEN)

Sakis. . . absolutely brilliant !! :cheers:

Thanks for posting that. I've been thinking about that for ages but never really done anything about it until forced to yesterday when 3 shifts of production had to be re-worked due to broken 2mm endmill.

I've had to make a minor correction though. There were a couple of # marks missing.
Works great.

Code:

#100=#[60000+[COLOR=Red]#[/COLOR]51999](GETS TOOL LENGTH)

M196
M197

#[60000+[COLOR=Red]#[/COLOR]51999]=#100
M99

N999(TOOL IS BROKEN)

This thread should be a sticky example of why good thread titles are so important to Milacron. ;)

Sakis helped a new member who lives 1/2 way around the world and 5 years after he posted his reply. :cheers:

To be honest, it wasn't the title. :o
I found it by searching "Tool Breakage".

But the manuals describe it as "Tool Breakage Detection" and therefor it was very helpful that the correct terminology was used in the thread.

Forever grateful.

Oh, and don't forget to include:
Code:
G53A0C0
before the tool measure if you don't want the machine to enter hibernation due to the pallet not being in the home position. :sleepy:

Back