What's new
What's new

MAZAK Slant Turn 50 stuck center

atr

Plastic
The shop foreman just told me that the operator of our MAZAK Slant-turn 50 had a center stuck in the tailstock and could not remove it. He asked if I would take a look and sure enough it is stuck. Usually when you retract the tailstock further than normal the center will pop out. They had already trid a chain wrench, a pipe wrench and various sundry hammers, punches and chisels. Needless to say even if we get the center out it will be useless. Can anyone tell me the procedure to remove the stuck tailstock?

Thanks
amtrue

Thought about making some soft jaws to clamp on the OD of the center, extending the center forward into the chuck, gripping the center and retracting the tailstock?

Next guess would be what we did here, basically making two tapered wedges that fit into the drift hole, greasin' 'em up, and using some judicious persuasion at the end of a hammer. That ole inclined plane gets 'em every time.

Try this! Turn the knob to the center out position on the tailstock and then retracting the quill back further to pop out the center. If the center will not pop out that means you have not engaged the push rod out far enough to force the center out. To do this you have to engage the rod with the center. The rod is threaded and by turning the center it will move the rod in and out. Move the quill all the way back then move it out about 1/4" then turn your center. You will feel it catch the coupling and turn the rod.
Hope this helps.

Back