What's new
What's new

Location of macro definition?

matthewgoyke

Plastic
Hello,

First post, new to forum.

I'm a CAD/CAM guy, so please correct me if I'm using the wrong terminology or not giving enough information.

The last shop I worked at, we had (2) 5-axis Mazak lasers. We bought a new CAD system that had hex macros. The laser operator somehow opened (what appeared to be a text file) and added a few lines of code (text) to add the hex macro into the controller (Fanuc). This took less than five minutes so I figure this should be fairly simple.

Can anyone tell me where this file is located and what the name/extension/format might be?

Thank you.

Matt

I've never been on a Mazak laser so I'm not too sure what you're talking about. In particular the term "hex macro" and how you're describing it.

Normaly, macros are just written as standard text type format. The file extensions may change but most of them can be opened on any text editor whether its your CAD/CAM editor (G code editor) or using some Windows form like notepad or wordpad. This would be the same even if you're doing parameter writing in hexadecimal or PMC programming.

On the machine, they have editors on them to do the same. If you have a FANUC controled Mazak, it will have a "Edit" page to modify code. On Mazatrol controllers, you should have a "Program" page to do the same.

Assuming that the laser controller uses a similar platform controller as other types of CNCs, the "file" you pull up to add code to is simply the program for the part you're running. Then by bringing the file up on one of the above mentioned pages, you can edit, add, cut, paste, delete whatever you need.

Thank you. I was talking about defining a hexagon macro just like the circle, rectangle, slot macros.

I am referring to a mazak that is 13 years old.
At my previous job, I remember we bought a new cad system and wanted to add a hex macro definition.

It seemed my boss simply, grabbed a file and saved it to disk (from the mazak). Then he opened it up with notepad and his PC. He added a few lines of code (defining the macro I assume) He then saved it back to the laser, overwriting the old file.

I was wondering if there was a universal place where this file is located.

OK, now I see what you're talking about. If its a generic shape macro program, then no, this isn't necessarily on your machine. But there may be some exception to this.

First off, I'm not very familiar with laser machines so I don't know if those types of macros are common to them. Next, on a Mazatrol controled machine, you don't have these types of programs. Its all user input. However, you said the machine had a FANUC control on it. Now, it's possible it may have had some FANUC macros installed with the board software. Odds are though, it was user written and the program you saw the other shop editing was something that a programmer or operator wrote and loaded it into the machine.

Generally, if these programs are on a machine, they are usually numbered in the 9000s. Sometimes 8000s. Look in the program directory of the control ("DIR" for FANUC, "Program File" or just File for Mazatrol). If a file name was set, you may see something like Hex macro, square pocket macro, bolt circle macro, etc. The file types used depends on the control type and the PC software used to receive them. They can all be opened up on text type editors though (like I listed previously).

Hope that helps....

Back