What's new
What's new

Mazak vtc 200

e723

Aluminum
I would like to know a little more about this machine. I am looking at purchasing a used mill, and this prticular model caught my eye! If someone can explain the advantage/disadvantage of the traveling coulmn? How is rigidity? How would you compare it to a conventional machining center? Are these machines more geared toward production or mold/prototype work?
Thanks

VTCs have been around awhile. It would also be helpful to know what year the machine is (or at least approximate age), which control version, and spindle type (rpm)....

As far as traveling column, it has a few advantages. The VTC can handle small parts to large parts. This (and due to the table size), can vary the weight of the part quite a bit. Basically, the machine can be tuned to the moving weight of the spindle. Therefore, real heavy parts won't affect the accuracy and speed of the machine as opposed to a light part.
Large traveling bed machines may run into some accuracy errors based upon weight (this can be compensated for). This is due to shift in weight, extra force to overcome by the screw and motors, etc. Some machines detect the load and actually will slow down the cut and rapids. Some don't and just the shear weight slows down the cut and rapids (more damaging).

Rigidity is somewhat different. But this machine is pretty stable. I know a lot of guys doing hard milling on these things and have no issues. With the speeds today, the cutters today and different approach to programming, this machine can do some serious cutting. I think there are several on this board with one.

Key thing though, how old is it? and the other questions I asked above...

:D

Honestly,
If you run production, the absolute best things about this machine:

you can leave the handles on the vices.

the table is really close to the front of the machine.

Personally this is my favorite machine. I know it like the back of my hand.

I know this is an old thread but i just wanted to add that i love the VTC-200G we have at work. The 12ft travel in X makes it so damn handy to be setup on more than 1 job at a time. We have the partition in the middle so we can set it up to act like a HMC with pallets. I have put this machine through some serious abuse in the 4 years that we have had it and have never had a bit of trouble with it. Well other than the drives batteries dying and losing the atc home position but thats trivial.

I know this is an old thread but i just wanted to add that i love the VTC-200G we have at work. The 12ft travel in X makes it so damn handy to be setup on more than 1 job at a time. We have the partition in the middle so we can set it up to act like a HMC with pallets. I have put this machine through some serious abuse in the 4 years that we have had it and have never had a bit of trouble with it. Well other than the drives batteries dying and losing the atc home position but thats trivial.
It looks like this post was from quite a few years ago, but I'm hoping this gets to you. Do you have any advice on adding in the partition? I'm new to this company, but we don't have them installed which seems like a complete hinderance of the possibility of production goals.

Almost 100% sure the removable partition on older models has got to be a factory order. And those machines had two umbrella type tool magazines because the spindle could not go over the partition with an operator working on the other side. And the machine needs to recognize the partition so you can have one door open to load while it is running on other side.
Another advantage Traveling Columns is the doors or removable panels each side allow very long workpieces to stick out one or both ends. Bottom of those openings is below the table. I did many hundreds of holes in the face on many 8' I beams when I made my cantilever stock racks. Even had a narrow roller conveyor to shuttle them in and out.

The newer ones don't have an umbrella tool changer. It rides with the spindle and it only needs to go home in y to grab a tool. Machine can sneak behind the wall when home in Y to do a "pallet change". I've never seen one in person but I've had a fancy for one for quite a fey years. It's also worth noting these are very popular machines for adding a 4th axis due to the stationary table making wiring and hose routing easier.

Back