What's new
What's new

Dripfeed

frankbals

Plastic
Hey all: Thanks for a great forum ! I'm fairly new to Mazaks, I'm the programmer for these machines. Anyway we have 2 new Mazaks...vcm 510, and a 730 variaxis, both I think have the nexis control. I have been told by the operators of both machines, that the largest program they can run is 2mg. But I was told they can load the program into the machine's windows, but cannot run it. Is there a way to drip feed right from inside windows at the control, or what other options are there ?

Thanks,
Frank

The Fusion control is approximately 2megs with a 2gig drive. The Matrix control 2megs with an 8meg option and a 10gig or 20gig drive or something like that. You can set these up to run programs directly from the drive. You have to change some parameters though. It might easier to DNC from a host PC or IC card.
Either, theres a lot of explanation here and machine set up steps involved. Do you have the operating manuals for the machine? In them, you find a section covering HD operation, DNC or IC card operation. It's in the machine operating manual in the second section (not the programming manual). It's under "Option". That section covers all you need.

Thanks......I'll read up on it the minute I get a chance. But wouldn't it make better sense to be able to dripfeed it right from the hard drive, that way the program is in your machine.

Thanks again

Frank, I'm not sure about the VCN510 because it has the Nexus640 control, but I know the Variaxis 730 with the Fusion640 will have the HD Operation Function. It's a pretty handy feature, and more user friendly than a typical drip-feed setup. The major drawback is you can't view the code as it's running. You can only monitor the commands that are coming up on the next line.

You will need the IC memory card or an ethernet connection in order to load a large program into the right folder on the hard drive. You can drag-and-drop from the floppy drive, but you can only fit 1.44MB on a floppy.

There are also specific criteria for making a file ready to run via the HD Operation Function, so make sure you read up on it in the manual. It's just minor stuff like(If I remember correctly):

-Dragging-dropping the program to the correct folder on the hard drive.
-No "%" sign at the start or end of the program.
-File name must be XXXX.eia (Replace XXXX with your desired program number.)
-No sub programs can be called from an HD Operation program.

Whenever I run from the HD, I create a normal EIA program to use as a main, and then call the HD programs as subs.

If you need to edit the HD program, just double-click it in Windows Explorer, and it will open in either Notepad or Wordpad.

I just had a brainstorm and I'm 92.4% sure the folder for HD Operation is titled "MC_Direct".

To see if you've placed the program in the right folder, you can check by.....

-Hit the "Program" soft key.
-Hit the "Program File" soft key.
-Hit the "Dir Change" soft key, then select the "HD Operation" button.

A whole new directory will show up, displaying your HD Operation programs.

You can modify and write programmes directly in the hard drive(HDD)but only in iso/iea. Just change the directory on the right/lower of the screen and the background of the programming page goes light yellow. this function is really handy when creating and modifing M code G codes etc. This doesnt work for Mazatrol programs.

Back