What's new
What's new

QT-35 Drawtube

newguy81

Plastic
Anybody know where I could get a drawtube made for my QT-35. I just got this machine and had to cut the old tube to get the chuck off. I dn't have a machine with a big enough thru hole to make one myself. Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

I had to make a new draw tube for a Mori Seiki SL25Y recently and have the same proble you are having ie no lathe with a thru hole large enough to take the draw tube. My solution was to buy hydraulic tube with the correct bore diameter and the use the lathe we had useing the tailstock and steadies to machine the outside. Takes a bit of time but it works.
Ross

call and talk to mazak service
847-885-8311
i think they have them made up in kentucky
steel cutter has a good idea too
theres lots of "doers" around here

Thanks guys, but my wife, yes that ol nag came up with a great idea. Take the manual chuck off the old J&L turret lathe and mount it temporary.Then machine the drawtube on the QT itself. Why didn't I think of that.

Great ides newguy81! You need to partially disassemble the rear of your kitagawa chuck. This will allow you to remove the female threaded drawtube adaptor, and use it as a gage to cut your male threads on your new drawtube.
You can use your old drawtube to determine the thread size for the end that screws into the chuck actuator. Measure threads using wires.
Try to get a nice fit...not too loose, but not too tight either.
Good luck!
Greg

I went the wippin' boy route when I had a little accident on our SQT200MSY. If I remember right, the drawtube was in the $600-$800 range. But that was peanuts compared to the Actuator I had to buy. :(
There is a lot of "doers". I'll have to check here the next time I screw something up again.

Back