Diamond
How do these machines differ?

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

EDIT

Changed Integrex to Multiplex.

[ 01-20-2007, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Ox ]

The short and skinny????

Integrex : Lathe with full milling capability. 9 controlable axis. Tool changer/tool hive system using KM tooling. Some milling also capable on the sub-spindle. Lots of possibilities for parts that normally require multiple operations on several machine types and stations.

Dual Turn: Basically, a "2 lathes in 1" idea. Can be optioned with some milling/live tool working. This machine has two spindles (opposing) and two turrets. Can simultaneously machine two parts at the same time and even with bar feed.

yup
what he said
i've got 3 dt20's(with lns quik load servo BF's and slug loading robots)
they are part makin' fools
and notice they have 2 moving heads
and 2 full turrets
no subspindle crap here
they are 2 fullblown lathes

My appologies - I meant Multiplex and Dualturn.

The Dualturn sounds just like my Hardinge TwinTurn. And from what I have known the Multiplex aint much diff?

Is it basically the packaging on the Multiplex - yunno - the gantry load and such?

Both have Y available?

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Dualturn is two QT20's put together, Multiplex is like SQT's put together. If you don't get the live tooling option on the multiplex the main difference is the integral spindle motor vs. belt drive. They don't hold there value as well I'd look for a good used one myself. The multiplex will produce more parts because of the quicker acc/dec.

Which one has the belt drive spindle?

IMO I would rather have the belt. Cheaper and quicker to fix.

What's to really gain with integral on a lathe? Bragging rights? Belt noise? Heck - I like to hear the belts whine. I can tell their running from here.

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Can you do long shaft work on a Dualturn or Multiplex by using both chucks together or would there be a place in the center of the shaft where either turrets couldn't reach? Seeing that the multiplex also has a lower turret I'm guessing that it could do it.

The Dualturn DOES NOT have belt drive spindles. It is indeed an integral spindle machine like the Multiplex, the SQT's, and all the new Nexus lathes.
Mazak's unique design of the Mulitplex and Dualturn needs the integral spindle to enable the headstocks to move left and right, providing the z-axis motion for both side 1 and side 2. Likewise, the turrets both move only in the x-axis direction.
Dualturn is basically a turning only, 4-axis Multiplex. Probably main difference is Dualturn uses bolt-on tool turret, whereas Multiplex uses Mazak's propreitary "1-bolt vdi" system. Virtually all Mutiplexes are sold with live tooling, often a y-axis, and often with automation such as gantry robot loader.
Greg

There is no Z on the turrets? I guess I never pd THAT much attention when I drool over them at the shows. ???

Doesn't that really limit the kinda werk that a feller can run acrost a Multiplex then? Or don't you seem to have issues with that? Just no long parts is all?

Then the answer to SND's Q is no - it would SUCK on shaft werk? Can you git the two spindles to move as one for the longer werk? I know that this is done on Swiss machines... Would you just need to make the same prog movements right after a synch code - or is there an "M" code for slaving one to the other'n? (Not sure that Yamazaki uses M codes?)

Both turrets are on the same side aint they? So you can't barrow idle time from one spindle to help out the other to reduce cycle times? (Or are they on opposite sides?)

A job that I am lookin at rat now would benefit from two turrets werking the same spindle at the same time feature. I can doo this on my Hardinge - but the werk diameter puts this outta it's reach.

How duarable are these int spindles? Good fer aboot how many hrs? $$$$ ???

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

We have a variety of sizes of the Multiplex series at our plant. The spindle life is decent, head one spindle we replaced after 7 years of 24 hr 5 days a week run (probably because it is attached to a 12ft barfeed) HD 2 has not been replaced in the 10 years it has been running.

There is a new multiplex with a third turret that can help out on either spindle.

Integrated spindle/motor is great on the mazak mills. Faster acceleration, quieter operation, with less vibration for a drastically improved finish. I also seem to get longer tool life on the new mazak mill. Maybe this is all because it is a new machine. I'm not sure if this is a big issue with turning because of less interrupted cuts, no tool runout, etc.

OX,

Ive got a 430 Multiplex available for 50K. It is still making chips, but scheduled to be replaced by a larger machine this month. Let me know if you are interested.

Can you do long shaft work on a Dualturn or Multiplex by using both chucks together or would there be a place in the center of the shaft where either turrets couldn't reach? Seeing that the multiplex also has a lower turret I'm guessing that it could do it.

Yes you can.

Back