What's new
What's new

integrex 40

Hey I'll come up there for $150 day plus expenses. And I am sure I know your machine inside and out. What year is this machine? What do you need to learn?

Good guess brother. How was Cuba? Nice and warm I hope. Mazak really quote you that much??? THat's big time B.S. They just don't want to do it.

Mazak really quote you that much???
Mazak's rate is around $125 bucks an hour. So... 8hrs*125.00=1000 bucks. Although, you must have a fairly serious problem(s) to think that it would take a week to work out. Of course you do have the added travel expense, hotel and such.

On the flip side of that, private contractors/service shops will run anywhere from $100 to $160 an hour (give or take). Not much to save unless its "local".

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mazak really quote you that much???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hell roto rotor charges 50 bucks an hour to run a plunger

what do you want for a trained professional

If any of you OWN a cnc machine shop and
even thought of charging $125 per hour
you would have NO customers and force even more
work to our little friends that work for a
buck an hour and a bowl of rice.

Key word is "Trained Professional"
touché.... ;)

Although there are quite a few left at factory (Not just Mazak but in general) who are quite capable, there are many more now who are not... or is questionable.

....charging $125 per hour
you would have NO customers...
I disagree with this comment for many reasons which would require a discussion of its own. But, just for note... many shops in my area are charging in that ball park and higher. Many of them manage to be busier than hell even so.... us included. Been full steam since Oct.05' and can't keep up. We'll have several new machines on the floor by this summer...

:D

I should've stated this a bit different....

Jobs are quoted regularly at 120 to 200 per hour depending work/machine type involved. Yes, we do have some jobs that end up in the 75-85 category (even less on a couple) due to the "we (the customer) are being forced to cut costs... can you (etc, etc)". But none are ever quoted at a lower rate off the shot. The figures are calculated in based upon the rates we "charge". And its no secret to the customers.

I think to state more accurately, it depends on your job market (the customer base you have access to). On top of that, the shop operations (overhead) involved, the machining technology and operations efficiency all play a part in what determines your "shop rate" you can charge.

But to blatently say that you will not get the job at 125 an hour is the only part I disagree with. That's simply not true across the board. And Dave, I'm not arguing with you that you're stuck to having to quote that way. Many shops are. And I agreee with you about certain things for work moving abroad. But there are many shops that do not quote that way and will not quote that way. Now keep in mind, this doesn't automatically make the part more expensive to build because the shop rate is 160 an hour or whatever. Other things are involved to reduce overall cost per part as I mentioned earlier. You do what you feel you have to and manage to keep the doors open at your place while making every attempt to remain profitable..... I have respect for that....

:D :D

Quality, timely, finished part cost on your customers dock is all that matters. How you got it there is not really relivent as to if you ran it on a 1938 South bend and then second opt it on a 1950 #3 "Milwaukee" for $15/hr or a "whizbang" for $500/hr...

This is where the Integrex 40 comes in eh? LOL!

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If any of you OWN a cnc machine shop and even thought of charging $125 per hour
you would have NO customers and force even more
work to our little friends that work for a
buck an hour and a bowl of rice.
I quote everything at $120/hr. Most stuff ends up between $130-$200. I won't even look at anything less than $100/hr, unless it's huge quanities that can run unmanned for extended periods. (But these are not very common nowadays.)

I only have one part number that's less than $120/hr, and it's because the material cost on the part raised so much over the last two years, it put a big hit on the profit margin. Typically I'd raise the price, but this is my biggest customer and they order 1200 of these parts per year.

You know the funny part though? My parts are typically less expensive and virtually always higher quality than other shops quoting at $65/hr.

The guys charging $120/hr aren't the ones forcing work over to China. It's the guys with 10 Haas VMCs with 1 operator standing in front of each one, scratching their heads wondering, "How come the guy next door is getting all the work? He must be charging $45/hr."

Shop rate is confusing sometimes. The guys in california do get more, and they have to with the cost of living out there. But the best way I can decribe it to my people is. Anyone can buy an 8" chuck lathe and that's were they start. And I believe that by and large that most parts made are small parts. If you can buy big machines, well there just aren't very many of them compared to small machines, which takes the pressure off of the shop owner's shop rate. I have a friend that has a job shop and all he bought from day one was big stuff, and in my humble opinion junk at that and he get's on average about $185 per hour and pays he help between $7 and $12. If anyone is going to start a shop, buy big and make money or buy small and work your ass off 7 days a week. My integrexes make me about $90 an hour and 1 guy (me or the wife) run 3 machines. It's all in how you do it. Humble opinion!!!

Back