What's new
What's new

Air Blast Thru Spindle, how to turn it on? Nexus 510C-II VMC

James D

Plastic
We have a brand new Mazak Nexus 510C-II (Matrix Controller) mill and we are running a lot of Kennametal cutters with the TIALN coating which like to be ran dry. What I'm wondering is how we can turn on the Air Blast Thru Spindle while the machine is cutting. We already have the optional Air Blast option (hose outside the spindle), but it's not clearing the chips out in deep pockets as well as we would like.

I know it can be done because when the machine does a tool change after run the HP coolant thru spindle it will shot air thru the spindle for a while to clear out the coolant before doing the tool change. I've also heard of a shop doing it with a Mazak horizontal mill.

Any one have any idea how this can be turned on while cutting?

Thanks

It's not possible to use the air blast through spindle option when the spindle is rotating. This is because there is a rotary joint in the back end of your spindle that can only be used with liquids. It's made of two ceramic plates that touching each other. Without liquid in between, it will get hot and be destroyed.

YOu wouldn't have the chip problem if you had a horizontal. The air blast thru spindle is an option. You'll have to find out if you ordered that option.

Back