What's new
What's new

SQT 250M / Fusion 640T - Tail Body Question

Rancidsump

Plastic
Is it possible to program a tail body move on this machine? I know how to move it in the manual mode, but don't see anything in the manuals about moving it in the auto mode. This lathe has a pin that couples the tail body to the carrige to move it. The tail stock doesn't have enough travel for the long part we are trying to machine, so we need to do both a tail stock and tail body move to clear a long reamer.

SHOULD MOVE. SHOULD BE A SIMPLE M31 TO MOVE IT UP AND AN M32 TO MOVE IT BACK. I HAVE A QT-250 WITH A FUSION AND THIS WORKS FOR US. OUR SQT'S DONT HAVE TAILBODIES THOUGH. UNLESS YOU HAVE A TOTALLY DIFFERENT OPTION I WOULDNT SEE HOW IT WOULD BE DIFFERENT FROM OURS. LET ME KNOW.

On our machine M31 and M32 moves the tailstock quill in and out. What we are trying to do is also move the entire tailstock body, as the quill doesn't have quite enough travel. M10 / M11 is "tailbody connect / disconnect", but I don't know what else has to happen to make it move in auto mode.

ASARGENT you sound like a pretty sharp guy. I am going to a auction monday to try to buy a Mazak VTC. I have run VTC'S in the past but they were all older with the M 32 and M plus systems. These machines are fusion controals and are supposed to be a little more ridged than there older counterparts.I would like to hear a opinion from someone who knows what the real difference is. We want to get a machine that a conventional machinest can setup and run without me having to hold hands with them for every setup.

thanks guys Calvinator

To move the quill in/out on a Mazak, you use M31 & M32 by themselves. If you precede the M31/M32 with the M11 (maybe M10...can't remember), the tailbody will move first, then the quill.
You can practice these M codes in the MDI mode to figure out the right combination.
To stop your tailbody at a certain point coming forward, you have to position the turret so as the little "stop-arm" at the bottom of the carriage engages the tailbody limit switch. This limit switch is on the back side of the tailbody, away from the operator.
AFAIK, Mazak cnc lathes do not use a pin to engage the tailbody so it can be positioned with the turret. The tailbody has it's own chain drive to move it forward and reverse.
Good luck,
Greg

@Rancidsump,

If you have the type you move with the carriage you have to do like this in a manual unit or EIA:

M5
G0 Zxx.xx (tailbody connect pos.)
G4 X1. (wait 1 sec.)(in metric system at least)
M10 (tailbody connect)
G01 Zxx.xx F */min(position where you want the tailstock)
G4 X1.
M11 (tailbody disconnect)
M31 (quill forward)

Start of machining
End of machining

M5
M32
G0 Zxx.xx (tailbody pos.)
G4 X1.
M10
G01 Zxx.xx F */min(tailbody park pos.)
G4 X1.
M11

end

Mazak cnc lathes use a pin to engage, some have their own chain drive with an electrical motor and the newest ones use MR-J2 servo drives with ballscrews like a normal axis drive. Each system is different in use.

FIRST IN RESPONSE TO THE TAILBODY/QUILL QUESTION: I JUST CHECKED OUR QT-250 AND IN THE PROGRAM LINE WE USE IS A MANUAL PROGRAM. WE CALL UP AN M5 TO STOP THE SPINDLE, AND THEN AN M31. THIS AUTOMATICALLY BRINGS OUR TAIL BODY FORWARD UNTIL IT HITS THE ADJUSTABLE STOP. THEN THE QUILL COMES FORWARD UNTIL IT READS THE PROX. SWITCH. HOPE THIS HELPS, MAYBE WE ARE DEALING WITH DIFFERENT SETUPS AS FAR AS MACHINES GO, BUT THIS METHOD OF BRINGING THE TAILBODY/QUILL FORWARD WORKS ON ALL OF OUR MACHINES EXCEPT FOR THE NEXUS 200 AND NEXUS 250 WHICH HAVE PROGRAMMABLE TAILBODIES. GOOD LUCK

SECOND IN RESPONSE TO THE QUESTION FROM CALVINATOR: I JUST TALKED TO MY MILL GUY. HE SAYS THERE IS REALLY NO MAJOR DIFFERENCE IN THE FUNCTION OF THE MACHINES WITH THE FUSION AND THE 32 AND PLUS CONTROLS. THE ONLY ADDITION HE SAYS IS STANDARD TORNADO MILLING CAPABILITY. THE FUSION CONTROL IS WINDOWS BASED. THE LATHES I HAVE IN MY DEPT. ARE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME WAY. THE MAIN DIFFERENCE IS THERE ARE CHANGES IN WHERE THE MENU KEYS ARE AND SO ON. NO REAL BENEFIT TO THE AVERAGE GUY. IM SURE THERE ARE MANY FEATURES WITH THE FUSION WE HAVE REALLY NOT EXPLORED, BUT WE DONT REALLY HAVE A REASON OR DESIRE TO. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU SOMEWHAT.

Back