What's new
What's new

Mazak 510C Specs???

mangs

Plastic
I am in the process of comparing Verticals. I want to do my own research before contacting the professionals. Mazak only lists the basics for specs such as spindle rpm, hp, and weight of machine. I want to know the meat of the machine like - linear guide size, type (roller or ball) ball screw size, Z axis thrust ect... It seems most builders are pretty gaurded with this information. Anyone with this type of info?

The linear guides are fairly big and I believe they are rollers. I saw them before the way covers were installed. I would say they are @ 2 inches wide or the metric equivelent.

I run a new 510C and am not impressed with it. Admittedly, I have a strong preference for box ways. However, this machine seems rather light for what it cost. I am constantly fiddling with feed/speed overrides to avoid resonance points.

We have nine Mazaks. The old machines are workhorses - great machines. The two newest VMC's are dissapointing, IMBO. Mazak also gets my vote for the worst manuals in the business.

An associate just bought a Haas VF5 and is quite happy with the performance. It is a lot more machine for about the same money.

I am interested in this too. I run a 510c purchased late 2006 and after a few weeks of personal adjustments to the controller (I used to run a cincinatti with vickers 2100) I think it is a great machine.

At some feed/speed combinations it chatters and howls like a tuning fork. Even a 1/2" endmill can initiate resonance. Long endmills are useless.

In all fairness the machine does have its good side. Repeatability is excellent. As long as one is working in the sweet spot (between resonance nodes) it produces a nice finish.

As I said before, I prefer the damping qualities of box way machines. Perhaps I should not be comparing apples to oranges. I still think there are better machines for the money.

At some feed/speed combinations it chatters and howls like a tuning fork. Even a 1/2" endmill can initiate resonance. Long endmills are useless.
Can it be the setup on the tool, holder and/or part? I contract program for another shop that has some 510s and there are no issues with harmonics there. Even with long tooling... I believe you with what you're experiencing, just not sure if I can see it being the machine only though...

:D :D

I also think there may be other variables besides the machine. In my experience, howling and chatter is typically a tool/workholding problem...while machine vibrations are typically low frequency.

I've even seen hydraulic toolholders be the sole source of chatter in several applications. (and that is NOT expected!)

Anyhow, I ordered a 510C and I should have it in a couple weeks, so I may find that I'm wrong.

Long and extra long endmills are more an art than a science to run anyhow...

FPworks, what did you get with your 510 and how much? I'm looking at one currently myself.

i think it just depends on what you need it for. If most of your work is hardmilling and you have to use face mills and take alot of material out, then yeah a box way is going to be your best bet. But if you do alot of aluminum and what not and maybe do some higher volume type work, then i'd go w/ a linear. Where i work we got our 510C last year and i've been impressed w/ it. If never noticed any big problems w/ bad harmonics except w/ something hangin out in the wind. We mill BeCu, lots of alum, stainless, even titanium on it. And true it doesn't have the balls like a box way, but it sure halls ass!

i know a little about about the 510c i saw a demo on the machine taking a .350 depth of cut, with a .005 per tooth chip load on a 2" face mill. they were showing the difference between the big plus and standard cat 40 toolholders.

it made a huge difference. the option is only like 1000 bucks and from that demo, well worth the money.

Back