What's new
What's new

questions on mazak v-414

CBlair

Diamond
A local dealer has a 1993 mazak v-414 with a m32b control with a 4rth axis table. I have never run a mazak, only fanuc and fadal and I would like to know if anyone of you has an opinion on this machine. I realize this is a open question but I dont really know what to ask. I suppose the most important is how does the M32B control stack up? Against a Fanuc or against any other Mazak control. Was this machine one of the cheaper models or is it considered a "good" machine.

I do not know if I am ready to purchase just yet but I would like to get some more information. That whay when I return to the dealer I will have more pertinent questions to ask.

Thank you for your opinions.
Charles

As I recall, the V414 was a pretty good machine. I ran one with a pallet changer. Never had any problems with it. It was very accurate and could take a decent cut. The one I ran also had a Renishaw touch probe system (MP3), tool eye, shape comp (high feed look ahead = G61.1), etc.

The M32 control is a solid control. But compared to a Fanuc or Fadal, you might find it combersome to use... in particular when you have to edit programs. The characters are on the monitor softkeys and not the board. It takes a bit of getting used to. I can type pretty fast on a M32, but then, I've been using them for awhile. I much prefer the M+ control over the 32. Much more power, ease of use, capabilities, and they moved the keys on board (similar to FANUC). Beyond that, its Fusion or Matrix control that are PC based.

Memory upgrades at this point is next to impossible so do check into how much it has. Is it a 7k or 10k spindle? For the time frame of when the machine was built, I wouldn't consider it to be one of the "cheaper" models.
As far as for what to ask.... I don't buy machinery that old so I'm not too sure. As a matter of fact, almost never buy used at all. Be sure to check the options page to see whats installed (shape comp, 3D comp, rotation (G68), scaling, macro, etc). And, check for EIA/ISO option (g codes). Some people back then bought them with only Mazatrol programming.

I'm sure others will chime in on some key things to look for...

Thank you, your suggestions will be very usefull. This is not the first machine I am looking at, but it is the closest to me and there is something to be said for not paying the freight. If I decide to persue this further I will have the Mazak folks check it out and thanks to you I now know some of the things to look out for.

Charles

Have the Mazak guys, or someone, run a Ballbar test on it. For a few hundred bucks you can't beat it and you'll know a lot more about the machine. If the seller doesn't want a Ballbar test don't buy that machine!

It's a 20 minute test and could save you thousands in repairs later!

The V-414 is a solid machine. The table moves only in the X direction, left/right. The column moves in/out for Y. And the Z moves up/down on the column. A very nice design for a vmc.

The seperation of the X & Y, versus stacked like a standard C-frame mill, makes for a fairly rugged, rigid, and accurate vmc.

Of course the V-414 is a linear guideway machine, as most all machines today. A linear guide machine generally can't take a cut like a box-way machine. But, with today's tooling and high speed, light cut methods, linear guide machines can crank out just as many parts, if not more.

For most job shop work, Mazatrol is the hands down winner, for quick programming and ease of use. The M32B should be able to run g-code programs. Check to be sure if you plan to program the machine with cad/cam.

I personally liked the M32 control although I have more experience with the T32. I thought it was a lot more simple to learn than the Fadal.

I learned the Fadal at the Fadal factory on my own. The only big of advice I got was 'spacebar is your friend'. I was able to pick it up but never spent a ton of time on one.

The FANUC control is nice simply because it makes sense and they have 60something percent of the market. Most everyone knows the FANUC. But I think overall the Mazak has easier conversational programming.

That's a whole different conversation. Some people think conversational programming is a bad idea. I think it's a great idea, just not for everyone. If you have a shop full of button pushers who like to think they are programmers.. then don't make it easy for them to make changes or lock them out. If you have good operators who understand programming and aren't going to make changes just for the sake of making changes conversational is nice.

IMO.

www.ncsprobing.com

Back