What's new
What's new

mazak live toolholders - used as static?

buerkle

Plastic
Hi,
QT10N, Mazatrol T3.
New to Mazak machines - very basic question:

I have some ER25 live tool holders that would at times be conveniently used to hold static tools for end-drilling and such. How can these holders be 'locked up' to prevent free-spinning & thus allow for this kind of usage? Do I need to program some nominal speed on that spindle? What is the recommended approach to making use of live toolholders in this way? Or is it not recommended.
thanks

Why not spin your tool at the slowest speed in the opposite direction as the spindle and then add spindle speed till you get your desired RPM for the "static tool"?

dunno, that's what I was thinking but was wonderin if there was a better, or at least more commonly accepted, way to do it. thanks

Why not just spin the tool?... unless you're also wanting to do some boring/turning with a drill/endmill.... but then you could just use the C axis and interpolate....

Just thinking out loud.....

Then again, with a T3 control maybe you have some limitations? I can't hardly remember back that far....

:D :D

I have a ST-35 M/C and I can't say that I know of a way to lock the live tool. Is there a reason you aren't using the live tool the way it was designed?

Just a matter of not having enough / the right kind of non-live (dead?) toolholders. And not knowing if there was an easy way to use them in that way.

Sounds like running the tool slowly is the way to get it to work if needed.

thanks gents

Yeah, just use the live tool for c'drill, drilling, tapping, etc. I don't know of anyway to run the main spindle and the live tool at the same time to increase speed (in Mazatrol at least). Maybe in EIA, but I've never tried it either.

Even if you can don't do it. After a couple of weeks the bearings will be shot. Bearings are strong while rotating but when static the balls will indent into the bearing races from the load.

Back