What's new
What's new

Quick Change Chucks

nt1953

Hot Rolled
The two Haas we have at work do not have standard self aligning spindle mounts, and thus require some significant time to change chucks or collet adapters. Does anyone make a conversion kit to a D1-6 or somethng else?

I assume they have a flat faced spindle nose, like a 140mm or something similar? IIRC, Royal does make adapters to go from a flat spindle to an A type mount. Assuming you're using power chucks and collet chucks, you'd want an A type nose as opposed to a D, since A's are the de facto standard mount for lathe spindle attachments.

The problem is not so much in the spindle mount but in the connection to the drawtube. D-type cam-operated spindles will not work well with conventional threaded drawtubes, unless the chuck has some kind of free-spinning chuck nut - while many brands of power jaw chucks have this in the bigger models, it's pretty rare in a collet system.

If you really want quick change between different chucking systems, then you need something where there is a master adapter plate mounted permanently to the Haas' spindle, and a special master coupling threaded onto the drawtube. Then, each chuck or collet nose is fitted with a slave adapter and (probably) bayonet-style drawtube connector. About the only one of these quick-change chuck systems that I know of is made by Positrol Workholding. It's very accurate after changeover, but expensive.

I have taken the chuck off of the smaller lathe, here is what I found:
1) The chuck has thru bolts that mount it to a flat plate spindle adapter
2) The spindle adapter mounts to a taper on the spindle with thru bolts

It looks like there is no way to mount the chucks any other way because the thru bolts required would go thru the chuck jaws and other than bolts, there does not appear to be a way to pull the chuck up on the short tapered spindle.

I'm making the guess that the short taper you're talking about is the A-style spindle.
In that case you just need to remove the chuck adapter plate and mount the collet closer directly to the spindle.
Manual scroll chucks usually need an adapter for the reason you just mentioned. The bolts would go right through the scroll.

What kind of collet chucks do you have? What is the mounting?

SeymourDumore
What you show in your links is exactly what we currently have. Unfortunately, almost everything we do is a one of a kind item, and done using a 3 or 4 jawed chuck. Changeout is a pain.

Oh, I think I get it. You need to change the chucks from a 3 jaw to a 4 jaw, and you have
alignment issues due to the adapter plate.
The spindle on the machine is fine and is in fact self aligning, but your problem is the alignment between the plate and the chuck.

Just as a possibility, here is an idea. D-type camlock spindles do align fairly well. They're on a great deal of manual machines, and so far I have had very good repeatability when the chuck was removed and replaced. Is it possible that you get a 4 jaw and a 3 jaw chuck with D-type mounting plates, and get an adapter from your A2-6 spindle to the D-whateveryouget.
The direct mount chuck have the adapter permanently attached, so alignment won't be an issue.
These are the chucks:
http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/jlind...s=922&storeid=1038424&pagenumber=926&fsid=926
http://catalogs.shoplocal.com/jlind...s=922&storeid=1038424&pagenumber=926&fsid=926

And unfortunately I can't find the A2-6 to D1-6 camlock adapter plates, but I know they're readily available. Haas should be able to supply them too. I thing Royal, Bratt Burnered, Buck or perhaps even MicroCentric makes them.

Back