What's new
What's new

what exactly is a MOCON error

DanR

Aluminum
What exactly is a MOCON error?

Today we had a strange thing happen. The Haas Super Mini is only a few months old and a few weeks ago I used the engraving program in the IPS to do a simple "Save Setup" block to have folks put it on the manual mill if they needed to keep their project (in whatever unknow state) intact. I have wanted to do some manual work from time to time but ended up waiting to see if the mess that was left was a job in progress or just a mess that was left...

Anyway, it worked fine.

The machine has been doing well, with no significant problems. Today one of the three of us in the shop went to use the engraving program on IPS. The minute he hit cycle start he got the flashing red light and an alarm complaining about MOCON problems (I suggested it might be a motor control, but didn't know if that was part of the control panel or something in the back. I also had no idea why it complained.

We called our sales rep and he was putting in a work order... and will have a technical coordinator contact us tomorrow... Other than that problem, everything else seems to work okay. The machine runs .NC programs we had loaded and cuts fine.

Is there some sort of hardware that is only used for engraving? I would have thought that software drove all of the equipment and that these alarms touting hardware / processor interface problems would be a problem for all types of programs if it was a problem for one.

Anybody run into this before?

Last edited:
MOCON Error Demystified

It was interesting. In IPS when I hit the cycle start button from the engraving page, the system produced alarm 102 Servos Off, and alarm 101 Comm. Failure w MOCON/MOCON Memory... and did nothing except flash the red light.

If I then cleared the alarms and went to MDI, I could see the program and RUN the program in graphics FROM MDI mode (everybody told me I was crazy and that you couldn't run graphics from MDI). Graphics ran fine and as it turns out, SO DID THE PROGRAM from MDI!!!

[It would not run from the engraving page in IPS]

Anyway, after working through my technical support coordinator, I find that Version 15.04E has a known problem and I need a software upgrade (if it is known, it would be nice if they would call all the folks with that version, but Haas made me trip over it first).

The work around is to push the cycle start and get the program into MDI; then run the program from MDI.

I hope when they fix my software that I don't lose the ability to run graphics in the MDI mode....

I used to get a "mocon failed" alarm at start up every morning when I first got my haas. Although it wasn't a problem because I could hit the reset button and it would clear it and run all day long, I still contacted the people I bought it from. They came out and replaced the mocon, and it never showed it's ugly head again. I don't exactly know what it is, or what it's for. Not much help, I know.

MOCON=motion control board

MOCON is Haas speak for motion control. There is a motion control board that outputs to all of the axis drivers, if I understand correctly. MOCON errors usually clear up on their own after a reset.

Greg

Back