What's new
What's new

Overriding rapids by variable

Witomcio

Plastic
Sometimes when drilling deep holes I want to change rapid from 100% to 5% just for the drilling cycle so my drill has time to cool off.Prolongs tool life 300%.
On short runs I do it by hand ,on longer runs I just write G code so it works like G83.Takes time thou.I don't "do" macros just yet, although my machine has macros.Don't want to fool around with them since I've never used macros.
I'm hoping there is better way around it like changing variable that controls rapids.
Just like variable #3003 overriding single block
#3003=1 single block is ignored
#3003=1 single block
Any other ideas?

Well I'd use one of the longhand cycles available in my cam for that, if I was ever to need it.

However, I suspect that you might be overspeeding your drills a little bit, assuming that you are using HSS, and cannot get coolant down the hole properly. Maybe reduce the speed by 20%.

But, another option might be to increase the safe distance after the return....I recall that there is a parameter in there that controls the peck return height. If you increase that distance, you may get the additional time needed to cool the drill while using 100% rapids.

Well I'd use one of the longhand cycles available in my cam for that, if I was ever to need it.

However, I suspect that you might be overspeeding your drills a little bit, assuming that you are using HSS, and cannot get coolant down the hole properly. Maybe reduce the speed by 20%.

But, another option might be to increase the safe distance after the return....I recall that there is a parameter in there that controls the peck return height. If you increase that distance, you may get the additional time needed to cool the drill while using 100% rapids.

Actually I'm drilling .060 diameter .400 deep in nitronic .
Drill : carbide straight flute Garr #1500 Altin coated
3500 rpm,feed 2.0.
Just for safety I make 40 holes with one drill ,haven't broken one yet.
With 100% rapids same parameters i can do 15 holes or less.

Back