What's new
What's new

Installing Coolant System

larry davidson

Plastic
I need some spiritual guidance please. I've got a TM-1 and I've bought an after market Graymills Coolant tank and pump unit. It plugs into a 110VAC wall outlet and is activated via
a toggle switch. I'd like to know if anyone know what I need to do to wire it up to the controller and control it via M functions in my programs. Any help greatly appreciated...thanks...larryd

coolant

The factory coolant pump on our TM1 is plugged directly into an 3-prong outlet on the side of the control marked "coolant." Does yours have that receptacle? The factory pump is marked as 230 volt 1 phase. Don't Know if any of this helps.

Phil

Ha! First post! Sorry for the delay but I've been waiting to get my account turned on. :D

Here's what you need to add the 'factory' coolant wiring:
  • There's a two-terminal circuit breaker that plugs into the power distribution board (you probably already have other breakers and fuses in the vicinity). The location for the coolant breaker is clearly labled. You need that one. Your HFO should have them in various amp ratings. Mine gave me a used one and it worked fine.
  • There is a factory harness that goes from the power distribution board down to the I/O board (lower-left corner of the cabinet). Both ends are clearly marked and if you buy the harness from the factory, it has the terminal numbers identified on it (no brainer).
  • From the I/O board, it's one more connection from the I/O board to the 230V outlet (two hot, one ground). Again, this is part of the harness and it's plug & play.
This kit is supplied as part of a coolant installation kit (when a customer orders a full coolant system after the sale). Because many machines came wired from the factory with this already in place, the techs often have leftover wiring kits. Mine said he had a bunch of them.

If you're really nice to the guys at your HFO, you might be able to get a leftover kit 'cheaply' ;). They included mine in with the purchase of my TL-1 so all I needed was a tank, pump, etc. I got incredibly lucky and found a 'used once' TL-1 coolant tank and pump on eBay the same week that my machine arrived. Yeah, I get lucky like that sometimes. :)

Even if you can't get it cheaply, that's the wiring you need. With the right connectors, installation is painless. Without them, I don't know how you'd get the right connectors for the boards. You could always use the M-code relays in the cabinet but they won't work with the Coolant buttons on the control (not as convenient).

Greg

I have a reply in the following post over at CNCzone about tying into the built in coolant option of the TM-1 series-

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42793

You will then be able to use the CNC control to switch on and off the coolant. You will need to rewire your Graymills pump for 220v, as previously noted. You will probably find the wiring instructions inside the cover of the motor capacitor.

-Doug

Back