What's new
What's new

My sidemount toolchanger is mixed up

kustomizer

Diamond
I have had the same job in the machine without as much as an offset change in over six months. This morning I turned it on watched it start cutting with the first tool, all was well and I turned around to deburr the last part out, it changed tools and bang, the wrong tool was in the spindle, it had tool 16 not 2. I reset to clear the alarms, put it in MDI and called up tool 3, 4, 5 and got the wrong tool every time. I have often wondered why it would not get mixed up but in 3 years it never has, until now. Has this happened to any of you, was it just a hickup, or something major?
Any help would be appriciated, the Haas boys are off till wed of next week and I realy do need to run it.
thanks
mark

I'm not real familiar with the haas but if you do a T1 in mdi it should index the changer to the tool change position. Load the correct tool or mark the pocket so you can insert a tool when it is possible.

Work though T1 to last T tool.

Clutch

turret mixed up

Hi, never had that happen to me yet but you should be able simpley to empty the turret and reload the tools by calling up each station and putting them back in. the machine will go to where it thinks it should be and thats where you put it. Or go to turret page in the offset button, clear the tooling list and re load Chris

When the sidemount chnges tools it takes the tool from the spindle and puts it in the pocket it just took the last tool from, in essence it puts the tool away in a new pocket every time it uses it and somehow it remembers where it put it last, until today. Today it does not seem to remember where it put them last and quite frankly I don't think it cares.

Is it consitent?
I mean does it now get the same tool every time (even though its wrong). If so it must have been a hickup somewhere, do as Chris suggested and just repopulate the tool table by looking at what is where.

No idea what would cause it offhand.

If it is not consistent and it gets a different tool all the time then there is something seriously wrong. I mean if you call T2 and get tool A do another tool change then call T2 and get tool E and not tool A again.

It seems consistant in a short term trial of 15 cycles thru 6 tools, I just would like to be more sure of it as the parts are $90.00 each, there are 12 0f them in there, and I have many hours in my fixturing.

Go to tool offset, page down until you see the list of pockets. Check to see that the tool in the pockets match the list. I had to clear mine manually once and start over.

Merry Christmas
Mike

I talked to the factory boys this morning and it seems there was a sticky roller switch that was responsable for counting the tool position after it finds #1. I keep a few new switches on hand and it seems to have done the trick. I guess it got sticky and saturday morning was very cold ( about 20 degrees F ) , the combination made it operate slow and loose count.

Almost funny, I was going to say the limit switch may be the culprit(sp?).
For one thing a large percentage of the problems I have had with all my Haas machines is the limit switches. I have had several fail in the X axis so lost my X home position or would alarm out, a couple in the Y axis, turret return so machine would alarm out after a tool change, I had one go bad in the carousel so it would not find tool 1 on Start up (sound familiar), but the carousel just went round and round...kind of like a carousel, no bad tool calls. Just had one go bad on the drawbar, so it thought machine did not clamp tool and alarmed out and I had one go bad on the tool presetter in my lathe and another in the Z axis for the home position. Think its time to put a few extra on the shelf as someone mentioned.

An Xaxis switch seems to have the longest wire and will fit most anywhere, sometimes you have to swap the wires around in the conector to have the normaly open or closed corect but the roller switch is the roller switch in a Haas to the best of my knowlege. Now there are proximity switches on my newer ones, I have changed a couple of those too.

================
quite frankly I don't think it cares.
================

thats some funny shit right there i don't care who you are :D

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the random access tool magazine?

I have the 40 tool sideloader, and I have 6 large,Heavy tools loaded so I have lost the use of 11 pockets.

If I could assign the pockets I would really love the magazine.

If you have a tool in cut long enough, Random Access sucks.

I have a few machines with random access, But they have larger capacity Magazines. 3 of them have over 100 tools. so this issue is not that bad on those Machines.

Let me know if there is a way to assign Pockets and make them stay in the pockets.

Oh yea. My Machine is a new VF-5 Mill

Thanks

Mohawk72

Back