What's new
What's new

The Probe Adventure

Jared

Aluminum
This is a rather long post and im really not even asking a question, but I thought I would share the experiences of my company and maybe this info will help out others stuck in similar situations. I would also love any input from people that are familiar with the Renishaw systems.

I work for a shop that does target machining and final machining of Ti castings. The business started as a contract CMM lab so in addition to the machine shop we also have a full CMM lab. Most every part (probably 90+ percent) has a pre target/machining inspection done, sometimes just for point data for the probing routines others because it’s part of what the customer wants as a final product.

We take the data from the pre inspection and use it to generate a series of deviation numbers which are input into the machining center as 600 series variables. That is the first program, to write the number to memory and then we have a second program that reads those variables and while probing the part in the fixture, outputs material condition numbers to the 800 series variables. That is what the operator monitors to determine if the part has been loaded in the fixture correctly and is not being distorted. This is where we have been having problems.

Recently (sept or so of 2007) we purchased our third machining center, a Haas VF-3. Seemed like everything was set and ready to go. This newer haas was ordered with the Haas probing package, which I had assumed was the same thing that was ordered for the VF-5 roughly 6 years ago when it was purchased.

The probe that came with the machine was a good bit different then the MP700 I was used to seeing. I think they called it an OMP40 or something along those lines. I figured it was just an updated version of the MP700 in a smaller package. So did the owner, and everyone who was involved in the purchase and selection of this machine. It seems looking back on it we were simply talking to the wrong people, the service tech for Renishaw that was flown down much later in the saga pointed out several large differences in the probes that I would have thought someone would have brought up, knowing our extensive use of the probe in our day to day work.

Of course after getting a new machine, all we wanted to do was get it set up and start making chips with it. Well after setting a fixture up and getting the work offsets figured out we simply couldn’t get a probing routine to run. After a few calls to the Haas dealer we were told that Haas in there infinite wisdom changed the variable set that the probe uses to make room for accessory functions. So numbers like #146(material condition) became #196 and so on. So at this point we are wondering if it might be so simple as to create a excel program to shift all of the 100-200 series variables up 50. We then realize that it even uses different subroutine macros to do all the probe work, which means all the g65 sub-routine numbers were different. Furthermore, the program that does multi-axis probing uses polar coordinates instead of standard Cartesian coordinates.

The whole time we were working with our local Haas dealer trying to sort all this out. After the most recent discoveries we were told we had a few options: Lose the tool setter and a lot of the extra Haas software junk and switch to a standard MP700 Renishaw system. There might have been some arrangement regarding cost with this option, but I’m not sure. The second option was to re-write every probing routine we have for the new machine, and continue to write a duplicate program dedicated to this machine. I think most of us can assume that this option would be the last and final choice due to the continued cost and complexity involved in keeping and writing two copies. The third choice, and the one that was decided upon, was to have custom software written for this machine by someone who knows and understands Renishaw code and is familiar with modifying it.

Renishaw sent us a tech from Washington who ate drank and breathed Renishaw code. He was previously a programmer for Boeing and was retired doing tech work for Renishaw and 5 axis probing contract work. Seems to be quite the niche if you know what you’re doing. As of right now we are using that modified code with the re-assigned variables. We have not begun to cut parts yet, this all took place on Thursday and I haven’t been at work since. I imagine the next issue we will run into is transferring all of our work offsets to take into account the different machine travels.

The probe that came with the machine was a good bit different then the MP700 I was used to seeing. I think they called it an OMP40 or something along those lines. I figured it was just an updated version of the MP700 in a smaller package.
That's my understanding as well. In fact, I'm currently involved with the swap-out of 4 MP16 probes to RMP60 (larger, radio version of the OMP40). This is on big 5 axis drilling machines.

I understand that the bigger probes like the MP16 and MP700 are no longer available. We (my day job) can't afford an outage due to a crashed or dropped probe body--so we're replacing them with the current model.

What did Renishaw tell you is different about them? A probe is a probe is a probe. I can't imagine them going backward in technology although I am curious to hear what you've learned.
Of course after getting a new machine, all we wanted to do was get it set up and start making chips with it. Well after setting a fixture up and getting the work offsets figured out we simply couldn’t get a probing routine to run.
Well, it's sad but that can't really be blamed on Haas. I agree that they should have set aside a variable set and stuck to it but there may have been some other reason they didn't.

There might be some other type of machine (pallet changer, bar feeder or?) that they matched variables to support some other legacy hardware/software. That might have forced them into new numbers. I've heard about variable conflicts within the big horizontals and I can imagine the new robotic loaders are going to cause all kinds of headaches with legacy software written by customers.

If you guys are that good at writing specialty inspection routines, why not just rewrite the Haas probing code once to make it fit your variable set? They only have a handful of routines and with your background, it shouldn't be more than a day to go through it and remap the variables.

And look at the upside: if your shop is doing this kind of CMM work and probing, it's on some high-dollar contracts. It's not a 'problem'. It's why a specialty shop like yours remains competitive.

I'm still curious about the differences between the MP700 and the newer OMP40.

I'm still curious about the differences between the MP700 and the newer OMP40.

I was told it mainly had to do with how the internals of the probe worked. I was told that the omp40 was not as accurate of a probe as the mp700. The omp40 has three "triggers" spaced 120* apart. so depending on what angle your probing at, you may be pushing just one of those triggers or maybe two. so that varies the force that the probe needs to "break" to stop moving. Something about how the mp700 trips open keeps the probing force the same all around.

When we had the Renishaw tech, he wrote a cal program for one of the extra cal spheres we have for the CMM's. He said that the probe needs to be calibrated at certain intervals both on the XY plane and on the Z plane around the sphere to be accurate enough for the multi-axis probing we do. He said we are looking at 2 tenths to 1 thou repeatability error vs the mp700 that almost dead on.

Mind you, most of this is just me repeating what he said, so i can’t be absolute certain but it does seem to make a lot of sense.

Hmmm...that is interesting. I wonder if they were trying to reduce costs on the probe. The explanation you got would make sense: fewer, simpler switches = lower cost. It seems odd that they would knowingly introduce error like that though.

Now that I think about it, the Haas VQC routines clock the spindle to a couple of positions during the calibration program. I might have to dig into that to see what kind of position averaging they're doing.

Our omp40 usually is consistent to .0001", once in a while I see a difference of .0002". That could easily be due to a dimension that is within .00001" of where the probe rounds up or down, and also machine temperature. I did dial our probe ball in to near zero runout (no movement on a Starret .0001" indicator), and I think that helps.

I am quite satisfied with ours, I hope yours works out for you. I do understand though how the different variables can upset things.

That's very interesting.

I too have an OMP40 in my new VF-5.

But I have 7 other machines with the MP700.

So now I have something else to watch for.

Thanks for the heads up.

But I do like the probing subs that are part of the new HAAS Control.

Mohawk72

Back