What's new
What's new

Haas TM and Predator Software

sturgmachinist

Plastic
We have a TM2 we are trying to connect with our PC using predator software. We are getting it to read on COM1 but no matter what we try we cant get programs or data to send/recieve. Any one have any advise on this. Setting we need to check etc.,

is there a file extension from your cad system? also I think it only read a .txt file You may need the letter O first in your file name.

I'd go the other way first: I'd try to send something--ANYTHING--to the computer.

The Haas is picky about receiving filenames.

As was already mentioned: make sure you have the proper name format and make sure that the first and last characters in the file are % and that they are on their own lines.

My Haas's use the "O" file number with a .nc extension
Make sure the com port, data bits, stop bits, parity, etc are all the same at both ends.
I'm sure you have the correct cable with the appropreate crossovers.
Is this out a real serial port and not a USB port? Some of the port replicators are a bit flakey to say the least.

Dunno about the filename requirement. The HAAS stores the file under the OXXX number encountered in the very first block, and when transmitting the file back to the PC it does not explicitly send a filename, rather it expects the receiving PC to name it.
That is if you're set to XMODEM on your settings page.
While I don't use Predator, to my recollection it does allow Xmodem transfers.
The files are stored on the PC with whatever name you choose and after transfer they'll get the program number from the block on the control.
As mentioned, you'll need a null modem adapter (or cable), obviously make sure the baudrate, stop, data and parity bits must match. The only other setting is the Xmodem or Xon/Xoff in your control.
Haas is as painless for serial transfers as it gets.

see if there is a setting that you can choose to send immediately or wait for handshake. Set it to send immediately. I use NC lite and that was one that took me a few minutes to figure out prior to sending the first program. I could recieve prior to that with no trouble.

Donkey, 4 outta 4 machines here have the null modem adapter on them.
That outta be reasonable enough.
As far as the manual, it does not say null modem, but the '00 VF manual describes the pinout as pin 2 to 3, 3 to 2 and 7 to 7 which is the null modem cable.

That's good enough for me Seymour. The manual that just came with my TL-1 shows the pins as straight through (1-1, 2-2, 3-3, 4-4 opt, 5-5 opt, 7-7).

But here's the rub: the manual for my 2004 VF-2 shows a similar diagram but describes it differently. In the diagram, they show it as straight through. In the text, they call it a 'Standard Serial Cable'. Then they go on to describe it as a DTE device and describe the inverted wiring of a 'null modem' cable. :confused:

So either they're showing the 'printer cable' in my new manual or they've changed configuration on the new 'coldfire' LCD-15 machines. No suprise to me. :D

sturgmachinist:

The simplest setup and wiring is to use software handshake. For 25 pin on the HAAS to 9 pin on the PC use these connections.

<CODE>
<CODE>
</CODE></CODE>
HTML:
PC End      HAAS End
 9 pin          25 pin
    2             2
    3             3
               4 and 5 jumpered at HAAS 
                          (really not required in software handshake for HAAS.)
                          (Fanuc requires 4 jumpered to 5, and 6, 8, and 20 )
                          (separately jumpered.)
    5             7
               shield 1

Set HAAS settings to 7 data bits, Even parity, 1 stop bit, and XON/XOFF. As a starter try 9600 baud.
Use these same settings at the PC.

Initiate your communication software at the PC, create any valid Windows filename, assuming the communication software is well designed. This could be PN_123490_REV_76_27_Dec_2007.XYZ . Now your PC software should be ready to receive anything coming in.

At HAAS move the cursor to the program you want to send and press RS232 SEND. Now data is being sent. When it is finished sending, then close your receiving program. Most programs will show the received data as it is being received.

If this does not work, then provide details on the program at the PC. There are other tests you can perform to test whether data is being sent. With the cable describe above, and with HAAS in XON/XOFF mode HAAS will send data without the PC connected. In fact it should send data with no cable connected at all. Just the data goes nowhere.

Last edited:
It makes no sense to describe devices as talkers and receivers in full duplex mode, which is what HAAS and others use in software handshake mode, because you can and do simultaneously send and receive.

What is important is that TxD ( the transmit signal ) at one end be connected to the RxD ( receive input ) at the other end, and vice versa. Common has to be connected to common (ground) at both ends. Pin 1 on a 25 pin connector is for the shield, and no explicit shield pin exists on the 9 pin connector. Usually the shield is only connected at one end, but there is no real problem connecting it at both ends.

People get all wound up talking about null modems, and standard cables, and DTE vs DCE ends. It is just easier to forget all this and determine what pins at each end perform what function and connect the appropriate pins.

I do not have Predator software so there may be some specific requirements in its operation that may make my above send-receive procedure not work.

You can download Cimco Edit for a free 30 day trial and it works very well and is quite simple to use.

What is important is that TxD ( the transmit signal ) at one end be connected to the RxD ( receive input ) at the other end, and vice versa.
I absolutely agree with you Gar but I find that it helps to understand some of the 'why' behind it.

In your quote above, you're swapping pin 2&3 but you describe it in the previous post as straight through. Swapping the pins is not necessary on a 'listening' device (modem or printer) but is necessary between two 'talking' devices.

And I also agree about just connecting what you need. If you're making your own cable, it all makes perfect sense. But for a newbie, I found it confusing as to 'why' some devices were wired one way and others were crossed.

Ya' know, since I've never done this, I'm thinking I need to go out and actually connect the VF-2 to this laptop and report back.

I'll be back. :D

Donkey:

I am not swapping pins in a 25 pin to 9 pin connection. Here 2 goes to 2 and 3 to 3. This is because pin 2 on the HAAS end is TxD and 3 is RxD while at the IBM PC 9 pin connector pin 2 is RxD and 3 is TxD.

If you had an IBM 25 pin RS232 connection (early machines) then HAAS pin 2 goes to IBM pin 3 and HAAS pin 3 to IBM pin 2. This is because on the IBM PC 25 pin connector the same function is on the same numbered pin as on HAAS.

The IBM 25 pin serial connector is male vs the HAAS which is female. The reason IBM used a male connector was to distinguish it from the parallel printer port which is a 25 pin male.

Unfortunately when DCE connections are described the naming of a pin is the same as the name at a DTE end connected to it. When you work with two devices that talk to each other I see no reason to call one DTE and the other DCE. From my point of view this make no logical sense because internally at the UART at either end the transimit signal is always labeled by its function, TxD, and similarly for RxD.

What is important is to remember that a transmit end has to connect to a receive end. It is easy in most cases to distinguish a receive end vs a transmit end with a voltmeter.

Gar, you are correct...at least between my VF-2 and the computer. I'm using a standard, straight through serial cable and I'm receiving a full dump of all the programs on the VF-2 (as I'm typing this). Hey, I needed to back it up and had to learn this stuff eventually anyway. :D

sturgmachinist:
I don't know what's wrong for you. I had to change the settings in Hyperterminal to the defaults in the Haas but it worked fine after that. This was actually less pain than connecting to my GPS. :confused:

Greg

Edit: thanks again, Gar. :D

The last transfer worked at 19200 before I ran out of battery. In any case, I simply matched the settings on the computer to match the defaults in the Haas. It worked like a champ.

Boy I need to get one of those WiFi serial hub adapters. That'd be sweet: wireless connection to both machines.
dance.gif

Gar

Just a question.
Why would you prefer Xon/Xoff over Xmodem?
With Xmodem you get error checking to give you an added level of reliability, but more importantly it allows you to initiate the send or receive from either side and let the protocol synchronize rather than having to set the receiving end first an then send.

Back