What's new
What's new

Finally!! Broken Tool Changer...Back In Business!!

wrustle

Titanium
Well, it's been almost a month now, and I finally have my Haas back up and running full tilt! When it first crashed I got a quote in from Haas to come out and fix the changer.....$1,200.00 including parts which wasn't all that bad I thought, and it would have been fixed in one day. But....in order to make my life even more difficult than it already was, I decided to do it myself. Honestly now that it's done, it really wasn't all that bad.

Parts $450.00.
Beer approx. $75.00.
Spending long evenings alone inventing new swears while doing the repairs........priceless!

Replaced the broken roller, all four of the screws (just for the hell of it).....thank GOD the sheared off bolt came out of the housing with just a couple taps of the hammer on my "sheared off bolt pointy taker outer thingy"....I was sweating that one just thinking about how miserable that was most likely going to be. The most expensive item was replacing the wiring harness that runs from the tool changer carriage to the motors. That was $160.00!!! It's not that it was damaged from the crash, but the protective outer casing of the harness was worn and broken apart in several places so I figured no time like the present to replace it. What a chore that was too......first of all the whole harness is a kinda one piece item that is plastic/rubber coated from one end to the other including the aluminum elbows and fittings. Then the fitting that goes into the carriage housing was an eighth inch too big so I had to take apart the housing completely and drill out the thru hole to accomodate the fitting, then I did something really stupid......put everything back together in the machine, got all the wires hooked up at one end stuck the fitting through the housing, and SON OF A BITCH the housing wall was thicker than the length of the thread going through it!! Man was I pissed!! Took it all apart again...(I'm an expert at that part now) and set it back in the manual mill and spot faced the housing deep enough to allow the nut to tighten on the fitting......and Yes.....this time I did check before removing from the mill. Anyways....replaced a few of the sliding doors on the carosel along with some springs on the ones that didn't quite close all the way, and one of the extractor forks which was all bent to hell from the crash. Removed all the other forks and closed them up to grab onto the tool properly......was just going to buy new ones until I found out they were $25.00 a pop! So a couple well placed smacks of the hammer and they worked as good as the new one. Oh.....almost forgot.....the BEST thing I bought of all the parts was a service manual and an electrical manual....and the best part was they were only $50.00 each....and here's the funny part......you had to buy one of each.....WTF!,.....why not just say.....the manuals are $100.00? Ok....still an awesome deal if you ask me. The service manual was a life saver......explained everything you need to know about the ATC (automatic tool changer) and how to not only repair it, but align it as well, which I had to do with mine, it was off quite a bit in the X, and Y planes, and teh Z axis tool home parameter had to be reset as well! Now though she runs like a charm, and super quiet too when changing the tools....leaving me to think the ATC was most likely out of alignment before the crash, because it was very noticeable when tools were changing. So, all in all I'm glad I did it myself. All totaled it probably took me about 12 hours to fix, and a good portion of that was spent machining the housing so the damn fitting would go through. I ran the machine for couple weeks just changing tools by hand to get jobs out that HAD to get out, and then we were shut down from 12-21-07 through 1-2-08 so that's when I finally got my sleeves rolled up and had at it. Have a couple pics below, before and after.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Russ

ToolChangerCrash1.jpg

Before.....What a disaster!

100_1611.jpg

All Fixed up now....ready to make millions!! HAHAHAHA!!

100_1509.jpg

Pic from a couple months ago, but shows the whole machine, and what a beauty she is!

Think that sucks...wait till you have to change the X-Axis cable. Snaking that damm thing thru Alum elbow under the saddle in these ole Plastic machines is a big time pain in the a&s. Seems like a breeze in the new models.

All in all not bad machine to work on.

That's a very cool machine. I guess those older machines weren't as durable as the current Haas stuff but it looks like a much nicer machine than the Bridgeport Interact that I rescued about a year ago.

It must kill your HFO that it's still making money. :D

"Dang it, are you ever going to buy a new machine from us?"

It didn't like being parked next to an Icky. ;)

------

LOL!
Ox

LOL....Good One Ox! I actually think the Ikegai caught something from the Haas, because about a week later, the actuator on the Ikegai $hit the bed and I had to tear it down and replace all the "O" rings inside.....Oh the joys of being a machininst at home!

Later,
Russ

come on russ,inbetween pushing the cycle start button and taking a shot of booze take a picture.are you really that "busy"?

come on russ,inbetween pushing the cycle start button and taking a shot of booze take a picture.are you really that "busy"?

Ok....had a fairly long cycle time running the other day and took some pics. Will have them posted in the Member & Shop Photo's Section real soon. You can check them out there if you want.....and yes....we really are that busy.

Later,
Russ

Back