What's new
What's new

Remove drive belt on 96 VF-1 w/ TSC/ reset spindle orient

viper

Titanium
We have some odd noise uptop and want to remove the belt to isolate the noise. Talked with Haas but not much help with the TSC stuff. In order to slide the motor/trans assy forward enough to get the belt off, we need to remove that tool clamping block thing in front of the trans. We have TSC and curious what we need to do here??The trans is loose but have not tried to remove the tool clamping block.

Obviously, once the belt is off, we need to reset the spindle orient for the TC. How is that done? Our 96 has the old shot pin thing so probably some manual setup here. Thanks

Wow that is a blast from the past.

Haas has a rebuild kit for the job. A couple of O-Rings and a Humphry Valve, Locating the parts on my own would not have been too much of an effort but was really easy to just order the kit and be done with it.

I saw you post recently and was hoping you saw this :)

I have mine apart right now, but they say there's no rebuild kit. I'll call back later and see if I get someone else with a different answer.

Shot pin cylinder

Those cylinders have 2 or 3 sizes of "o"rings in them, transmission shifter is the same, and once you get it off takes 5 min to clean up and rering. Common "o"rings and not much $.

The cam is on a smooth shaft and is held in place with a tapered bushing similar to a qd style. I'll check my notes at work tomorrow and post how to align the encoder, and cam with the spindle.

Warren

Haas Part number for my machine:

Part Number 93-3204 TRP O-Ring Kit @ $12.00 (TRP= Tool Release Piston)

Part Number 59-2832B Quick Exhaust 1/4 Humphrey @$10.00

But as weckeman stated, you could save a couple bucks and locate rings elsewhere.

Shot pin alignment

The drive belts don't run all that tight and with the gear backash in the transmission there can be .015-.030 between the shot pin cam and the spindle driving dogs. So keep that in mind and try to get the cam in the middle of the backlash.

Using MDI mode press orient spindle button.

The cam has 4 1/4-20 shcs holding to the taper bushing. Loosen these bolts and take 2 of them out and install in the threaded hole of the bushing. Tighten these 2 until the bushing releases and the cam can turn. Put the 2 bolts back in the bushing clamp hole and turn all 4 bolts finger tight.

Set an indicator on the table and tram the spindle drive dogs using the x-axis. Align the dogs so that they aree parallel to the x-axis within .030.

Use a 5/8 open end wrench on the dogs to rotate spindle until proper alignment is attained.
If spindle is hard to turn make sure the cam bushing is free to turn.

After allignment is reached, disconnect the air to the machine.

Manually turn the orientation cam and push the shot pin until the it drops in the cam detent.

Tighten the orient cam bushing bolts to 15 ft-lbs. Verify that the spindle orientation is still correct.

Make several, 30 or more tool changes to test orientation.

(From my notes and Haas service manual).

Warren

You can also slip teeth at the spindle until things align properly. A simple mark on the spindle pulley will get you in the ball park. Been there several times.

I am curious about the noise. We had a noise and had to disassemble the trans to find the shift fork nut backing off so the gears were not holding in place. Luckily no damage done and just tighened up the nut with locktite and moved on. We had mostly a deceleration noise. maybe a thump or rattle. Cannot remember.

The drive belts don't run all that tight and with the gear backash in the transmission there can be .015-.030 between the shot pin cam and the spindle driving dogs. So keep that in mind and try to get the cam in the middle of the backlash.

Using MDI mode press orient spindle button.

The cam has 4 1/4-20 shcs holding to the taper bushing. Loosen these bolts and take 2 of them out and install in the threaded hole of the bushing. Tighten these 2 until the bushing releases and the cam can turn. Put the 2 bolts back in the bushing clamp hole and turn all 4 bolts finger tight.

Set an indicator on the table and tram the spindle drive dogs using the x-axis. Align the dogs so that they aree parallel to the x-axis within .030.

Use a 5/8 open end wrench on the dogs to rotate spindle until proper alignment is attained.
If spindle is hard to turn make sure the cam bushing is free to turn.

After allignment is reached, disconnect the air to the machine.

Manually turn the orientation cam and push the shot pin until the it drops in the cam detent.

Tighten the orient cam bushing bolts to 15 ft-lbs. Verify that the spindle orientation is still correct.

Make several, 30 or more tool changes to test orientation.

(From my notes and Haas service manual).

Warren

Great Info. Got to go try this right now.:drool5:

Back