What's new
What's new

More memory for VF4

EBRenz

Plastic
We only have 372,000kb left, about 36%, of our memory. This allows us to upload only one more program. And we need to add about 5 more programs. Called up HAAS and they said that the machine was too old to add more memory. Have any of you had this sort of problem? HAAS suggested we connect a PC and then have the programs move back and forth, but we are afraid that the process would not be idiot proof. We researched floppy disc adaptor, which would allow us to use a thumb drive. This is the best option for the price, only 50 dollars, but has anyone heard of updating all your electronics on a machine? Or is there anyway to add more memory? I would really hate having to present this problem and have a thumb drive or new machine as my only to options.

PM a guy called "huflungdung". He's a wiz at this stuff and added 16 megs to an older Haas vf-3. He did have to change a thing or two but I don't know exactly what he did.

Dave

"Huf", if you decide to PM on this one, please include me. I have that 96 model and I thought there was 1mg hiding in there somewhere. We are computer inclined so if you are up on this, please let me know. The only other thing we want to look into is faster processing. I think they had 1000/sec back in the day which I was told from Haas was not the same as high speed machining so I don;t understand.

They gave us the HPM code for one of our other machines but failed to mention the software would need upgraded and parameter re-entered. I would say, if we can get a hard drive in there or something to hold programs, that may work too.

our machine is a 97. And we have all the memory upgrades you can get(16mb). Our inital idea of a floppy to usb has been shot down due to having to install a driver on the machine. So I think we are going to turn to the floppy. I am not a fan of the floppy, nor do I have a floppy on my laptop. We have two engineers that work with the HAAS machines, i am one and my senior is ther other, neither have floppy drives. So for 20 bucks we are going to buy and see what happens. I cant imagine that HAAS can not update the computer and electronics to the newer models. I would hate to have to cough up 90k for a new VF4 but if the problems persist then we will buy another(which HAAS will love).

One option we are considering right now is building a PC based control for our machine. basically, the motion control works just fine, it is the computer control that is out dated and costs WAY too much to upgrade or get better options. PC based stuff is damn near freeware. We almost did this with another machine and decided to sell for other reasons. We may look much harder on this Haas as it will likely become our "project".

I had the 16 meg upgrade done by a Haas serviceman before I got possession of my 96 VF3. I think he had to change the MOCON as well as the mainboard, if the latter is where the memory is.

DNC should work okay if you need a whole lot more memory space. Maybe not as convenient as USB though, in some regards.

So far as changing to a PC based cnc, well, the file management aspects of a PC can't be beaten, but trying to emulate a full fledged cnc is a fair challenge. Maybe a Fagor retrofit might be well thought out in advance, I'm not sure if they run that on a PC or not. PC's aren't all they are cracked up to be for a motion controller interface, unless you happen to be a software programmer and can make the machine do your bidding. My experience doing a Camsoft retro taught me that you actually are getting something when you buy a black box from a real cnc outfit. That something consists of a whooole lotta pre-squished bugs. :D

Big Difference in Memory

I have a question about memory and was hoping you could shed some light on this for me. We have 2 VF-4's. The 97 model is currently holding 190 programs in memory and shows 83% (6958110 Bytes) free. Now, the 2002 model is currently holding "1" 895 kb program and is showing 16% (839543 Bytes) free. Is there a parameter setting difference or do you think the 97 has had memory modifications? Thanks in advance!

I ran into the same thing with my 98 and went with the DNC Haas told me about. It was easy to setup and nearly foolproof, i haven't screwed it up yet. There are other ones but Haas recommended this one and they have the cables and good phone help to get you going.
www.dncsoftware.com

We only have 372,000kb left, about 36%, of our memory. This allows us to upload only one more program. And we need to add about 5 more programs. Called up HAAS and they said that the machine was too old to add more memory. Have any of you had this sort of problem? HAAS suggested we connect a PC and then have the programs move back and forth, but we are afraid that the process would not be idiot proof. We researched floppy disc adaptor, which would allow us to use a thumb drive. This is the best option for the price, only 50 dollars, but has anyone heard of updating all your electronics on a machine? Or is there anyway to add more memory? I would really hate having to present this problem and have a thumb drive or new machine as my only to options.

I think you should try DNC before you go and spend a lot of time and money trying to avoid it. I use it daily with no trouble at all. By the way, how did you get those 5 programs in there to begin with? Did someone stand there and type them in?

I came across the same problem on my oldest machines, a 91 VF-1 and a 95. I called my Haas outlet and explained what I had and what I wanted, just add some memory to keep a few extra programs at the machine. Basically they told me it was not and easy task on the old machines and not to waste my money, just download programs as I needed them or use the DNC method.

I added the required memory to the machine by using a dedicated PC at the machine. One sits on a storage shelf by the machine and the other I have sitting on the machine, with a place for the keybord and mouse. The PC's have an old windows program, a terminal program and is always connected to the machine with a RS-232 cable. Old computers are a dime a dozen and I find they actually work better then the new ones. I can now use floppies to transfer files or USB flash memory. It is an extra step to crank up the PC and load programs but I have lots of memory now. It's also real easy to make backup copies of all the files and move to my main computer for safe keeping.

I think you should try DNC before you go and spend a lot of time and money trying to avoid it. I use it daily with no trouble at all. By the way, how did you get those 5 programs in there to begin with? Did someone stand there and type them in?

Good heavens no, we use DNC for load/dload the programs. We however are "computer literate" the production manager does not have a clue about computers nor does the machinist on either shift. The supervisor is actually so bad that he is able to use email BUT TYPES LIKE THIS . <-- (please note the space in-between last word and punctuation)

Really, we are afraid that the operator(s) will some how cause a huge problem and moving the programs back and forth.

Back