What's new
What's new

Vf-2

WSBAT

Plastic
I have a 1998 VF-2 and it has a high pitch squeel at high rpm is that normal or do I have a problem. thanks

WES

belt?

I would first check the spindle temp after funning at high RPM. If it goes over 125 deg you have a spindle problems. If the temp is ok i would then check the belts.

High Pitch Squeal

Did you run a spindle warm-up program befor going to High rpm. My 2000 VF-2 does the same when cold, but goes away after the warm-up.

Mine squeals all the time warm or cold. Between 3000 and 7500 rpm.I run a lot of aluminum and plastic.

Try a spray of some sort of harmless lubricant on the belt (a shot of WD40 is what I would use, but cannot say I recommend it). If you get temporary relief from the squealing, then you can adjust (retension the belt) and/or inspect the pulleys for wear. Timing belts are not particularly silent, and if the pulleys wear, even a new belt will work itself loose on the substandard worn surfaces of the pulleys. Since your machine is a 98, does it have a lot of spindle on hours on it?

The other thing, does the pitch of the squeal vary with rpm? I had a noise in mine before I overhauled it, but my description of the noise would be more of low intensity howl than a squeal. If it was howling, it seemed to occur after the machine had warmed up running for a while, but the pitch of the sound stayed pretty much constant, but seemed to cutoff completely below 2500 rpm or so. My diagnosis was that the noise was from bearings. Seems like it went away after a changeout.

Back