What's new
What's new

Turret Lock Fault

SEAZ

Aluminum
SL-20 lathe faults when doing tool changes. It started out only doing it once in a while but now it does it every time. Any ideas?

Check for water in the air cylinder that unclamps the turret. As the cylinder accumulates water the tool change gets slower and slower until it is so slow it times out. Pull off the sheetmetal cover at the back of the machine. Push the air lines into the fitting and hold the ears, then pull off the air lines. Use a blow gun to blow the gunk out of the cylinder.

we had this happen after we added an air hungry machine to our shop, and ended up with a lot more water than we could deal with in a short period of time.

Stu

I had the springs in the turret go Ka-poots on my SL-10. It would not come out quick enough when air cylinder released the turret causing an alarm. Started as a once in awhile thing then progressed to often, then I heard a clunk when indexing and called Haas. I believe there was a measurement to check the distance it pushed out before indexing.

Low air pressure is also a culprit.

Just started going thru this!

My sl-10 has been getting a Unlock fault. Check the magnetic switched on the air cylinder . They will let the machine know when the cylinder is open or closed. Switch nearest to turret is unlock, farthest from turret is lock. Also check the backlash in the worm gear that actually indexes the turret. Run a small loop program using M43/M44. make sure the parameters for Turret lock/ unlock are changing from 1 to 0 or vice versa.

I do believe the air has alot to do with it. Water or rust in your line may be the problem.

Also, the turret travel should be .156 minimum. You could also try doubling the value in parameter 62. That is the timer for the lock/ unlock.

I think the air is most of my problem but if ruled out start with these other items.

If you have live tooling, check the "castle" bolt, the live tooling drive bolt... sometimes the mounting screw backs out and can get stuck on the live tooling tool when indexing... just a thought.

shavings

we have had problems with shavings ,junk etc. getting behind the turret on ours and stoping them from finishing index

Back