What's new
What's new

Way lube on my VF1 way cover seals

viper

Titanium
I was rather concerned last night to see some tubing laying in the head that looked like way lube line. I am now inspecting things closely. I did manually pump the way lube and took about 10-15min to drop to zero pressure. I was curious if that sounds right and how fast one will bleed down if they have a leak? Is there anything in the Haas control to catch way lube problems? Something like a timer on the pressure or something?

Also, I am looking for way cover seals for my Haas. We have bought seals from Haas before and we get a roll of seal for 100 bucks!! Not even cut to fit. Just wondering if I can order elsewhere for the stuff?

doesn't sound like you hace a lube issue, if it has a broken line it wouldn't hold pressure for more than a minute. You siad the line was laying in the head?!? the only lube line in the head is air/oil for the spindle bearings, that should be connected to a quick release or some other fitting on the spindle, if it's not connected the spindle isn't getting air or oil and that can cause bearing failure. Does this machine have TSC option? there is a small purge line for that in the head also that sometimes hangs in limbo in the spindle head.

Yes, we have TSC and I know the exact line you are talking about and I am not sure where it was supposed to go but was cut off short. We will have to repair some things on the TSC so it will not be used right now. The tube I found had a fitting on one end just like what is used on the lube lines. I am now thinking that a line had been replaced before and somebody just did not care enough to discard the old one.

I was wondering if Haas has a parameter to check lube pressure over time to check for leaks? I have heard it they drop real fast, there is a problem and Mine held for at least 10min before hitting zero. That stuff always worries me because 25cents in plastic line can cost you thousands in parts and down time!!

very true about 25 cents saving thousands, that fitting I think is supposed to screw into a small threaded hole on a sheet metal access cover, if it is what I'm thinking it just purges the tsc a small bit and drains into the mill, it is such a small amount for the most part, leaving it in the head cover shouldn't make any difference. I'm not sure about a parameter for low lube, I have seen before on machines with broken lube lines a low lube error alarm that you have to clear before running the machine. In my experience if the gauge holds pressure for 10 plus min you should be fine, the leaks I have seen the pressure dropped immediately... good luck.

Back