What's new
What's new

SL-10 Lathe...... X axis cutting tools don't hold tolerance

PhoenixTool

Aluminum
Purchased a brand new SL-10 three months ago.

Every thing seems to hold tolerance, except for X axis tool ( rough turn, finish turn, thread, etc).

We find that we are constantly moving the tools down at least .0005" every half hour. Over the course of a full day, the tools of offset a whopping .005" !

To me, this can't be right....... my old ass '94 KIA will hold tolerance all day, and yet my brand new Haas wont? Really?>!

I'm awaiting a service tech to address this problem, along with a nasty screaming/chirping/whining noise(sounds like a belt) that persists for half the day after its turned on......

Any other Haas lathe owners have issues with tolerance?

.005? Hell no.
.0005 overall, on parts that don't wear tools is about all I need to adjust throughout the day.

As PBMW mentioned, check the thermal comp and it's settings.
My Mori doesn't have X screw comp and it does in fact move about .003 going from cold to working temp. Once there though or while getting there, it is .0002 variation or less.
On that SL10 you should have no problem holding .0005 consistantly ( naysayers, please remain in the peanut gallery )

Same boat!

I have the same thing on my SL-10. I would like to know where the thermal comp values should be also. I also have a nice whining belt.......open to suggestions on that also!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try changing parameter 339 "x axis spindle thermal coefficient"
it's set to 8000 as standard
if parts are getting bigger, make 339 smaller, and dthe opposite.

on a sl-10 I had to set it to about 6000.
The new Sl-20 is set to 8100 at the moment, takes some trial and error to get it right.

It should not mess with your X-center, but I probably would not mess with that setting too much until talking to Haas support. If you get them on the phone, they canm tell you what your machine should have in the settings.
While certainly not sure, I think there are a few more places to set than 339. In fact that seems to be the spindle temp coefficient. On the previous and following pages there are few more temp related parameters.
First, look at your CD or manual with the printout of the original values.
Somehow I cannot see HAAS forgetting to set them.
To my recollection, whenever the settings and parameters a re-loaded, they are also compared to a master database. Based on the serial and the SW version it notifies the service guy about discrepancy within the reloaded data. I do believe that the temp stuff does have a default value, which may even depend on the software version and the temp-comp algorithm used in it.

Ambient shop temp through out the day is 60 deg F to 70 deg F. Nothing extreme.

That sounds pretty good.

After you've adjusted the offset .005 over the course of a day, what kind of adjustments do you have to make the next morning? Do you set it back to zero and end up at .005 at the end of the day again?

The fact that it keeps getting worse and worse over the course of the day without ever leveling off makes me want to think you've got some sort of mechanical issue that is causing excessive heat build up somewhere. But that's just a shot in the dark.

warmup?

Do you warm the machine up in the morning?
even with thermal comp, it is not a bad idea to run a short warm-up program, mine runs a x full travel, z full travel, (less crashing!) incremental program at 25% rapid for about 15 mins, then all is good, hold +/- .0002 all day.

Hope this helps.

"D"

I had the same issue with my SL-10. Chased around a few thousanths all day long. I knew something was up cause my SL-20 holds a couple tenths all day with no problem.

Finally I played with the thermal comp settings, made little to no difference. I e-mailed the Haas Answer Man on their website and a factory tech called me back. I told him how far it changed and he walked me thru changing a few settings / parameters and told me to keep track of any comps I needed to make then call him back and we would tweak settings further. I'll be dammed cause the machine has been within a couple tenths all day since then, that was a year and a half ago.

I had the same issue with my sl-10. Here's a simple fix that worked for mine. The wire for the thermal compensator was running parallel and right next to some high powered wire. The thermal compensator would pick up "static" from the high voltage line, and cause the X axis to change irraticaly. Haas came in and just re-routed the line, and all is fine. A simple test would be to go into the settings, and shut off the compensator, and see if it suddenly holds size. If it does, then you've pretty much narrowed down the problem.

I dont have a Haas lathe but just to through another idea in here. What does you x-axis load meter read when rapiding in a free state. you could compare that to someone elses in here and get an idea if theres an axis bindup somewhere.

I ended up messing with the thermal comp.....bumped it up to 15 on X.

Took care of the problem.

As for the noisey belt, sprayed it with some belt lube(like for a car) and it took care of screaching......

Thanks for all replies and suggestions.

Thermal comp

We had exactly the same problem on the x axis
Turn off thermal comp find the and set the relatave parameters to 0000000
trying to adjust them by trial and error is a nightmare and you will have a difference in size every morning, works by time apparenly

turn them off and only worry about the temerature in the shop

Jim

Back