What's new
What's new

Monitor goes whacky when spindle revs up

viper

Titanium
I am curious if anyone has seen their monitor go weird when the spindle spools up? Not on braking and under no other conditions than when the spindle accelerated hard. I thought we had found it with a phase wire that was loose coming into the machine but it is still doing it. Just curious if anyone else has seen this what fixed it?

I just replaced the monitor on my ’94 VF-2 because slapping the side of the pendant would no longer revive it. The new one is very bright and as the spindle speed increases the monitor flicker also increases. My Haas tech said to temporarily remove a particular ground wire from the spindle controller…didn’t help at all. The tech will be in the shop for some warranty work on my VF-5…I’ll pick his brain.
Carl

I have found a guy with Haas that is DAMN sharp on these and I think we have found the problem. As known by some, VFDs or your spindle drive creates high pitched harmonic frequencies when running the spindle. These frequencies are borderline digital. I think they play havoc with the control cabinet because of a lack of shielding. I honestly think they should have a foil shield. Try isolating the drive wires in the cabinet and pull them out of the racway so they are not touching anything going to the mocon or processor boards. See what that does for you. You may also want to check for a loose main power connection and that your machine is well grounded.

There are also some adjustment pots on your monitor that might help a bit in tuning. They are on the back of the unit.

It may have different components operating at different frequencies. Hard to say but I would sure look at the cabling and go from there.

the newer monitors by kristel sometimes do this you need to slice open the cable at the monitor end after taking apart the 9 pin connector hood get the shield wire from the cable and solder it to the ground wire which i think is green not sure this should solve your problem

Back