What's new
What's new

Looking for a way to turn on aux air gun with M or G code

viper

Titanium
We want to add an air gun to our Haas for cooling and would like to turn it on with an M or G code. We can use about any output to convert to what we need. Anyone know if there are any extra features in the Haas to do something like this without "paying" for extra m codes or something?

on the top left of the io board which is the bottom left board there are terminals for the spare m codes they are labelled m21 m22 m23 m24 you will see com nc no to fire the m21 you use m51 and m62 to shut it off m52 for m22 etc.

Thanks a bunch, that should help a lot when we setup our air gun and vac table. We also will want to put in a manual override. Do you know if the boards are protected from back voltage or should we plan to put diodes in to protect it?

viper:

The information that serviceman gave you is in the HAAS manual, and I believe the on-line manual covers this.

The output relays are small electromechanical. Meaning they have physical contacts.

Are you going to switch an AC or DC solenoid? If supplying AC to an AC solenoid, then you do not use a diode, and maybe use nothing. If it is a DC solenoid then you put a back biased diode across the solenoid coil at the coil. But I do not recommend switching a DC inductive load with mechanical contacts.

Actually I would recommend use of a solid-state switch for either an AC or DC load and pilot this from the HAAS relay contact. Usually you will require a different type of SSR (solid-state relay) for DC relative to AC.

In general AC solenoids have better pull-in characteristics, and less average power dissipation than DC solenoids for a comparable capability.

Honestly, I have not decided what solenoid to use yet. I will have to see what the Haas output is first. The last one we did, we used 12VDC but we had to wire in with the coolant and use switching to decided which we wanted or both. Nice to have extra outputs ready to go. I guess I will have to look at the setup to speak intelligently about the setup. As many times as we would probably use the air, I doubt the mechanical contactor would create too much problem.

viper:

HAAS only supplies a contact closure. You need to supply the voltage source. You can get a small amount 120 V single phase from a transformer secondary in HAAS. Probably not a good idea to try to use any other of their limited power sources.

Back