What's new
What's new

spindile orientation on '92 VF2

snocat_trf

Hot Rolled
I got a spindle error and before the spindle stopped, I initiated a tool change and I heard a clunk, now the spindle is off about 30 degrees or so from the position it is supposed to be, does anyone know how to repair this?

You would first need to find how it came to be off. If you are not familiar with your machine, there is a lock ring on top of the trans and an air operated shot pin that hits it. If that ring moves, your lock position will be off. You could have also slipped a tooth on the belt or some teeth sheared in the trans.

If it is just the lock ring on the trans, there are four bolts securing it. Remove all four, put two in the two threaded holes visible on the lock ring to press it apart. Just press it enough with the bolts to get it loose. Then fire the orient to lock it and turn the spindle where it needs to be and retighten. Sounds like fun but really not to bad. Easier with two people because one will need to hold and turn the spindle so the bolts are accessible.

we had it happen once before, and I recall something about a shot pin, but I did not have time to watch the service guy while he repaired it, and I can't get him here for two days and I need it up and running asap.

Does anyone have a diagram or service manual I can get the pages for this?

I have the pages but they are of little help. It makes more sense to look at it. I really feel they should have put the lock ring on a key way made, if anything, the shotpin cylinder moveable. Tool much torque on that little guy.

Turns out that the belt slipped a couple cogs, the service man had a lag in his schedule and stopped by, He is working on it as I am typing this, I am going to run down to the shop and keep my eyes peeled so I can fix it myself next time.

At least it is one of the simple fixes. It take some time to move that belt since you have unbolt the whole trans and move forward. I would sure want to know why it slipped. Those belts are pretty big for the limited power the older ones make. Anyway, good luck.

Back