What's new
What's new

opinion on thru spindle coolant

billystein

Aluminum
Hi guys,

looking at used vf3-sm. does anyone have any comments on the thru the spindle coolant system. I would love to have this coolant otion but are there any long term downsides.
any opinions about the side mount tool changer would be appreciated too.

thanks,

billy

It is decent. I have 2 HAAS machines with the option. It seals by 2 carbide disks being pushed together by 4.5-7 psi of pressure from the drawbar piston. If you are using the TSC option make sure you pay attention to your coolant concentration or else you will be buying carbide disks every month. The carbide disks get lubricated from the coolant so if you run your coolant lean you are asking for trouble. Also if you let the carbide disks get too old before replacing you get leakage and coolant spaying your spindle motor and bearings, a big no-no. If you get the option you will enjoy better drilling and tool life but be prepared for the maintenance and added costs.

Yes good point Psychomill, turn on TSC before turing on the spindle.
Yes they are carbide on the HAAS. Unless they changed it recently. I purchased quite a few so I would know, :-(

Coolant on as a lube?

If so then not running TSC all the time would drastically reduce the life-span eh?

Or is this more of an issue of turning it on afterwards doo to the pcs mating at speed?

I hafta assume the latter, but curious minds eh?

-------

Shoot'm all - let GOD sort'm out in '08!
Ox

side mount toolchanger opens up work area,get it

tsc + 80 gallon tank blows chips out,get it

get max rpm and extra memory if cutting surfaces

if sizing a machine to make parts that you are doing now you will wish later that
you got the next size bigger.

prewired for 4th axis if the used machine has it
you can always barrow,rent,lease a rotory or trunnion for that odd job

trust me,owner of a vf5,former owner of a 25 yr old cinncinati 5vc with 256,000 bytes
memory,150 inches feed rate,coolant that dribbled out when it wanted to work after refilling the tank when it leaked out all over the floor,good controler for it`s time though

billystein,
Unless haas has changed someting, you can't (shouldn't) run TSC of you are drilling above 7500 RPM. I was told this by several people at Haas as well as our independent service man (who is Haas Certified). It also has this listed in our manual's Option Section.

Only ran into this as our 2000 VFOE was equipped with an optional 15,000 RPM spindle...

Don't know if this makes any influence on your decision, but the more info the better...

Good point aamtoolman..... For the 1000PSI coolant, Haas will tell you to not run it at high rpm. Their stuff won't take it. On our machines, they said no more than 10k. I told them that was crap... build something better than. Another tech and service manager said, (reluctantly) no more than 12k if its a short burst.... whatever that means. But the spindle assy don't like it...

carbide discs are mechanical seal faces lapped flat to a few light bands.

Tungsten carbide disc are NOT the right material for water based coolants.

Chlorides in water leach the nickle binders out of the TC material.
Breaking down the lapped faces causing leaks.

Ask Haas to supply silicon carbide seal faces.
They'll last forever.

Back