What's new
What's new

tool change pop noise?

Sounds like the tool release mechanism in the spindle. My tm-1 will do this
if things get a little dry, sticky, rusty up in there. Try the following...

1.) Spray some wd-40 or the like up into the spindle using the the long red nozzle included on the can. Then do a couple of manual tool changes. Spray some on the pull stud also and into the spindle each time. This usually loosens things up after a few times. To oil it up good I sometime hold the tool release button and float the tool on the air pressure coming out of the spindle to try and force some of the wd-40 furthur up into the spindle. I sometime do this before and after I use the machine. I also leave one of my tools in the spindle if I leave the machine for a long time.

2.) Make sure your compressed air is dry. Make sure you not getting water in the air line.
Water in this area may cause some rust to form.

My VF-0 did that quite frequently as well up until I had to do some repairs to the tool changer. It is an umbrella type changer. Once the repairs were done I had to re-align the tool changer with the spindle, which included alignment of the tool changer in both the X and Y axis and also the Z tool change height parameter. I did this repair a couple months ago, and the one time I heard the tool pop out of the spindle afterwards, I removed it from the machine and found there was a small aluminum chip pancaked onto the tool holder taper. Once I removed the chip and cleaned the spindle taper I never hear it pop at all. Not to say alignment is your problem, but it only takes about a half hour to do, keeping in mind my ATC is an umbrella type.

Best Regards,
Russ

There is a small regulator on the back of the motor, black adjusting knob with air line in and air line out. It should have something like 4.5 to 5 psi when energized. You can adjust there if needed, as for a parameter I believe it's paramater 149 we used to add small numbers, maybe 10 at a time until the noise went away, but mostly only on machines with TSC. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to do it on non TSC machines but you will still want the proper air pressure regardless.

hope that helps....

Sounds like the tool release mechanism in the spindle. My tm-1 will do this
if things get a little dry, sticky, rusty up in there. Try the following...

1.) Spray some wd-40 or the like up into the spindle using the the long red nozzle included on the can. Then do a couple of manual tool changes. Spray some on the pull stud also and into the spindle each time. This usually loosens things up after a few times. To oil it up good I sometime hold the tool release button and float the tool on the air pressure coming out of the spindle to try and force some of the wd-40 furthur up into the spindle. I sometime do this before and after I use the machine. I also leave one of my tools in the spindle if I leave the machine for a long time.

2.) Make sure your compressed air is dry. Make sure you not getting water in the air line.
Water in this area may cause some rust to form.

guys,
I had this same problem last week. I actually had water in the air lines. I repaired the air dryer and also had to do the following:
1) remove the Z axis cover. Find the valves that run the drawbar piston. Make sure you disconnect the air supply from the machine. Remove the air lines to and from the valves and insert a teaspoon full of airtool oil. Put the airlines back on and cycle the drawbar multiple times to move oil around.
2)Re-install the axis cover and go to work.

Note: there was just enough rust on the spool of the valve to allow it full motion. Thus; the drawbar piston was not getting the proper air flow to move it 100%, Making a "POP" noise when the tool is finally released. This fixed my VF-0, but who knows if it will last or if I just put a Band-Aid on the Boo-Boo.
JoBwan

check your tool carousel alignment and your spindle alignment. We had a loud pop and bang wen changing tools and found that we had both off. Not to mention our encoder inside was on its death bed. Once we recieved the spare parts we were able to do the job in house and were back within the hour. Contact the HFO and have thier repair dept email the proper instructions on the alignment.

have you noticed it only happens when the tool has been in the spindle a long time..like over night? if you put the next tool in the pop doesnt happen any more....right?

if so the tech told me that the solution is to not leave the tool in the spindle over night or when not in use...

I dont know if it is pressure build up or just a suction fit because the tool gets "sealed" in that taper contact...because that is a lot of surface area!

hope that helps

bob

have you noticed it only happens when the tool has been in the spindle a long time..like over night? if you put the next tool in the pop doesnt happen any more....right?

if so the tech told me that the solution is to not leave the tool in the spindle over night or when not in use...

I dont know if it is pressure build up or just a suction fit because the tool gets "sealed" in that taper contact...because that is a lot of surface area!

hope that helps

bob

Yep, I never leave a tool in the spindle at the end of the day,

I asked a similar question here several months ago. My Mini-Mill was doing the same thing, but only after specific tool load. In my case it was a 1/2 inch rougher cutting a 1/2 inch deep removing half of a .75 diameter. The odd load made the tool pop every time. Wound up checking drawbar strength. Upped it to 1500lbs and went to a bigger holder. No popping now, but we did need more air flow to operate the drawbar.

Dan

We have a new TM-2 that is only 6 months old. It started doing the same thing as you described. Haas tech came to install new mocom board and noticed the poping sound. He said that it was from a dry pull knob. He recomended that i keep the bore and tool clean and keep the pull knob greased. i've followed his advice and have not had any poping. I also think that some coolant may wick up between tool holder and bore. I make it a habit to wipe down all tool holders and the bore after running a job and haven't had any problem.

this happens on alot of machines after heavy roughing or if the tool has been inthe spindle after it stops for a little while. the tool holder heats up slower than the spindle then the spindle cools around the holder tightening the fit. i tend to put some lithium (just a little) on the holder and the knob. the gap between the knock out in the spindle is set at 10mm from the factory so the carousel has to help pull the tool out becouse your not getting enough force at the right moment. we adjusted our knockout to 6mm and with the lube it callmed the pop down significantly. ive seen thermal growth on 50 tapers so tight we had to use a lead hammer on the holder to break it free......

I've been fighting this same thing with our EC-1600 the past week. After talking with Haas they told me to check the air regulator pressure when i did it was only 75psi. Haas wants it at 85psi. Our distributor which does the Haas service work told me cranked it up to 95psi. I did and it didn't hang up once today. Ours would hang up on any misc tool. It was never the same one.

air regulator

Our VF1 and VF4 , both have two air lines coming to the TRP.

It works like this...

When you press tool release - first the right side airtube pushes air into the TRP.
this one comes after the air regulator.

the air pressure should be set low , so that the piston will move towards the top of the drawbar but will not have the stuff to push it down....

a fraction of a second later the main left side valve pumps the air into the TRP and does its stuff...

IF you just disconnect the right side tube and do the tool release , The left side valve will do its thing at one go , causing the POP sound ( because there is no initial soft motion done by the right side valve).

I once failed to notice the right side valve malfunctioning and let the machine run with the POP sound..thinking it was just come sticky tool... With GRAVE consequences !

The TRP developed a crack !!. THe machine is running with a long aluminium ARC WELD
on the top...

SO get it corrected FAST !!!

MJM

We have a new TM-2 that is only 6 months old. It started doing the same thing as you described. Haas tech came to install new mocom board and noticed the poping sound. He said that it was from a dry pull knob. He recomended that i keep the bore and tool clean and keep the pull knob greased. i've followed his advice and have not had any poping. I also think that some coolant may wick up between tool holder and bore. I make it a habit to wipe down all tool holders and the bore after running a job and haven't had any problem.

By jove, I think the man is right. I was doing some heavy cutting yesterday, the kind where the tool was engaged for an hour in relatively deep cuts that I "knew" would result in a giant POP when the tool change came. But, being mindful of this grease tip, I greased my knob and it came out easy :D

My mini will also pop but I've been paying attention to when it does it. High RPM, heavy load. That puts some more heat into the holder and spindle causing them to be a bit tighter. Pops when released. I sprayed a bit of Pam on the holder. Cured it instantly

Our brand new vf6 had the same problem, but the haas engineer tuned it out while commissioning the machine. It was to do with the TSC 'precharge', and he adjusted something to do with the pressure at the carbide discs up top.

That's all he mumbled after coming down once he fixed it, so I'm afraid I don't know more.

Hello Neilhuband .
Welcome to the Forum...

Yes You are right about the 'precharge' . That's the term I should have used but I preferred to go for the long winding explanation in post no 14....cos I thought it would make things clearer..

the precharge pressure is usually kept at around 4 to 5 bar and the main pressure is of course 7 bar.

Bye
MJM

Same problem with our VF3 here, makes a loud THUD sound during the first hour tool changes. Aside from the solutions mentioned above, I wonder if there is an option to slowdown the tool change motion because of our spindle probe?

Our VF-2ss does the very first tool change of the day with a loud bang but then is normal. Almost all of our cuts are light so I don't know how it would sound after a period of heavy cutting. I'll try lightly greasing the pull stud (knob?) later. BTW, maybe I'm still a kid at heart (49 yrs old) but I'm surprised nobody made a crack about greasing your knob. Well, rest assured, I made enough of them for all of us in my head.

Back