What's new
What's new

Early Power Failure Detection

LochinvarDan

Plastic
Is it worth the money? The description says its stops the spindle from dropping. Is this true? Does the spindle just drop when you loose power?

Last fall had a power failure in the middle of a tool change and did not drop a $1500 adjustable boring bar. Worth every penny in my book, can't afford to keep a complete spare tool like this on hand. Clyde

As I understand it, Haas used to have a mechanical counterbalance. That was changed in about 2000 I think. Anyway, now they use the Z axis servo and you can see this by the load on the meter at rest.
When a power failure happens, the Z ball screw can drop the head a bit. The option is there to apply the axiz brake before the servo looses power.

Haas told me that without the feature the head could drop maybe .015. That's enough to toast a cutter and scrap a part. My salesman included the option no cost.
Carl

As I understand it, Haas used to have a mechanical counterbalance. That was changed in about 2000 I think. Anyway, now they use the Z axis servo and you can see this by the load on the meter at rest.

That is absolutely correct. We had a power failure last Sat. and the spindle did not move (but the machine was a '00 with a nitrogen counter balance).

For about $800 how can you wrong.

I agree, Tonytn36. Seems like they might have come up with a 'retrofit price' to put that on one of the first models that had this problem, but the new machines should have it built in.

We have a VF-5 with the mechanical counterbalence and a brand new VF-3 without. They included the power failure detection business for free for us as well. we have tested it several times with an indicator and flipping the breaker and it works as suggested. Our matsuura on the other hand drops the spindle about .030 when the power goes off. Toasted a part last year because of that.

Back