What's new
What's new

Temperature sensetive TL-1

Dave Gischel

Plastic
I've had a TL-1 for about a year now and have an annoying problem. I keep my shop at 45 Deg. F. at night. Enough to keep the water from freezing. When I turn on the lathe at 08:00 I get an error message that says "NO SYSTEM CLOCK" where the "languages" are displayed. Haas said they have no idea whats wrong and never heard of the error message. Brick wall! Tried putting a 75 W. bulb in the back compartment. Now machine will start at 55 Deg. most times. It will always start at 60 Deg. Anybody solve a similar problem without turning up the heat?

If you have temperature sensitivity of the nature you describe (meaning within 0 to 70 deg C (32 to 158 deg F) for storage (not powered) ), then you have defective components in the system. 0 to 70 deg C is a normal commerical grade case operating temperature rating for integrated circuit components. That means they are expected to operate over that temperature range when the outside surface of the IC is within that range. However, generally you would not expect to operate at 70 deg C ambient air without lots of forced air cooling. But, on the low end still ambient air of 0 deg C should be no problem because there will be some internal heating in the device.

If it is out of warranty it is your cost, otherwise HAAS needs to fix it. You might check on HAAS's specified operating temperature range.

A way to try to find the component is to use "circuit cooler", probably CO2 these days, with a fine nozzle and point at different components on the printed circuit board and try to provoke the problem. HAAS's construction makes it hard to do this type of test.

Back