What's new
What's new

Specs

nomgis

Cast Iron
Does anyone know where to find the specs on a let's say a sl-10 or sl-20. What I need are how much torque?Spindle dia. thru?what size chuck? Things like that. Thanks!

Just remember those are PEAK ratings...good for about 30 nanoseconds. Not to bash, but the ratings given are not to machine tool manufacturer's "standards" if they still exist. Years ago, there were some, but somehow got lost in route to the marketing department. Actually, many manufacturers still give accurate numbers, but as far as I know, Haas publishes peak ratings.

For example, in a previous life, we had a Haas VMC, BIG 20hp sticker - when the gearbox went south, the Lincoln Electric motor mounted atop had a nice stainless steel tag with 10HP on it. Also, after not being able to push an 11/16" twist or spade drill in soft steel (should be about 1,200# thrust when new) for more than about 10minutes, I started pushing to find out the real thrust in Z - 3,400# listed...but they said we should assume about 1,100# on a continuous basis.

Just keep this in mind when you look over the specs, and ask a lot of questions like you are doing...ask specifics if possible - like... will a SL-20 cut 6" T316SS @ 500sfm, 0.100" doc and 0.015"/rev??? Someone here should know...lots of experience - I know our little Hardinge won't:angry:, but the original documents show repeatability on the test bars at 8 millionths!:D

Steve

My little SL10 won't cut 316 at .05 doc at .008 a rev. Drill 316? Uh, no...
I did a bunch of 4340 parts that had a 1.25 hole down them, Spade drill... I ran the job nad then put a new Z axis drive in the machine. Kilt it dead. It was a good thing I had a spare...

1 1/4 dia Dave
200sfm .008 ipr. Won't do it. It'll move the little 3/4 stick tool around in the turret.
.05 actual depth of cut is about 180% on the load meter. It's pathetic.

Fer cryin' out loud, my "little" Hardinge CHNC will do 525SFM at .050DOC and .008ipr in 416HT. Did that Friday, about 75% load on the spindle. I bet I could go .075DOC and hit 100% on the load meter. I switched to Cermet and had to move my feeds and cuts around; slower feed, bigger cut, the Cermet seems to love it.

Back