What's new
What's new

Do you use the ALL function?

gar

Stainless
In the program list do you use the ALL function?

For those unfamilar with this function -- if you put the cursor on ALL (bottom of the program list) and press RS232 SEND, then all O-number programs are sequentially output to the RS232 COM1 port. This produces at the destination a single file starting with %, containing all the programs without %s, and with an ending %. There are no %s associated with the individual programs.

If you do not use the ALL function , then why?
--- You have a one way street. Programs are never sent from CNC to computer.
--- No need to send all the programs from the CNC.
--- Too much trouble to separate a desired program fom the large ALL file.
--- Takes too much time to send out all the CNC programs.

If you do use the ALL function, then why and how is it used?
--- Saved for emergency purposes. Virtually never use the saved programs.
--- Used for archival purposes of what was actually run on the CNC.
--- Programming was done on the CNC and saving the program is necessary.
--- Programming was done external to the CNC but changes are made at
------ the CNC and the program must be saved.
--- After saving ALL the individual files are separated from the big ALL file
------ and distributed to meaningful storage locations.

Years ago I wrote an EXTRACT program so that I could automatically separate the ALL file into the individual O-number programs. As an example of the speed of this program I can take an 80,733 byte ALL file with 72 programs and extract these in about 7 seconds on a 100 mHz 486 computer , and 1 to 2 seconds on an IBM ThinkPad.

I am considering offering this as a product. Therefore I am interested in your needs and potential usage.

--- Too much trouble to separate a desired program fom the large ALL file.

It woudl be nice to have the "Extract" tool, but the problem is that programs are not saved by Oxxx, so the results still need to be opened individually and then re-saved with their proper names in the appropriate subdirectories.

Issue #2: I have common generic files in the control, such as clean the face and od of the chuck jaws, quick face and drill a hole into a stock, quick circle with G12/13 etc etc. Each time ALL is used, I'd end up with a copy of the generics as well.

Just something to think about.

What would make a real nice tool is if there was a way to link MS Access with a text editor and an RS232 comm package. I am using Access to organize the whole shebang here, and with those additions I could do everything within one framework.

Just something else to think about.

--- No need to send all the programs from the CNC.
--- Too much trouble to separate a desired program fom the large ALL file

Mostly I would say "No need" I have always worked with one program at a time. Probably only have enough brain cells for one.:ack2:

Also on a separate note...I was at a HFO open house once. It was the first year for the Mini Mill. They were buried and short of sales help. The owner was trying to show a potential customer some background editing. As I walked up he asked if I would demonstrate as he was having trouble. So I cut and pasted the whole program to a new Oxxxxx and started in while the demo cut was going on. After a while the company know-it-all walked over and scolded me for messing around with the machines. I attempted to explain...but he was too busy hitting the
List program..
Select programs..All
Delete programs...All
"Are you sure Delete All?...
ENTER

Of course they had no backup for the 8meg 3axis program he had just deleted :wall:
So since that day I avoid the "ALL" for anything :D
Gary

Thanks.

Seymour -- I sent you a PM message.

On a separate subject can you check the time to send a file of about 800 k with X-modem at 115.2 kbaud to HAAS and indicate what communication program you used? Also it would be interesting to see the time from CNC to PC?

Alum -- HAAS ALL is very dangerous on a delete. There needs to be a different key for verification.

I believe it also deletes quickcode.

I have found "All" usefull once. The system became corrupt, I had to download all the programs, delete using "All" then reload the programs I wanted.

I use it occasionally to punch back to the DNC.

I then rename them with the date included and squirrel them away for an emergency.

It is easy enough to copy and paste from the ALL program to replace a screwed up program.

Mohawk

I don't keep a lot of programs on the machine. When I get a repeat job, I repost it. Saves on scrap...
I get a lot of revision changes.
I never save back from the machine, I change the cam file to reflect the changes at the machine if there were any. I frown on edits at the machine. So do my customers.

Back