What's new
What's new

Midaco Pallet Changer for HAAS VF-2 or larger

bernerscientific

Aluminum
Hi Folks,

I have 2 Haas VF-2's and one is set-up with a midaco pallet changer. I have 2 changer systems and because I am moving I have decided to let one system go. I want to find a good home for it so I thought I would mention it to this forum. Although it will work in many different machining centers, it seems to work perfectly in a VF-2. Check out my ebay ad and watch the video.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170209945814

feel free to ask any questions or call me rick--cell anytime 734-834-0285

The Midaco has saved me so many times. especially for repeat jobs. Instead of stripping the bed and spending 2 to 6 of my valuable hours setting up a job (especially if your customer only needs a few pieces), it literally takes a few minutes to change a complex set-up. It really works. If you do a lot of prototype this will pay for itself fast.

Hi Rick,

I have two of the Midaco Pallet Changers. One on an Okuma Vertical Mill and one on my newest Haas V5.

What kind of a program do you use to control the programs and the pallet Pool?

I have a generic G-Code program that runs my two part programs as sub routines. Works but is kinda messy.

I can send you the program I am using with instructions, But what I am looking for is other program ideas to do what I need.

Thanks for any info you have.

C Ya and good luck on your Move.

Mohawk72

Hi Mohawk72,

The pallet systems I have now are manual so no programming is necessary. I just jog it in manual mode to the correct position when I need to exchange pallets. I used to have an automatic but found that keeping it clean was very difficult (chips and coolant get everywhere) on a per operation basis and it started to affect quality. The current system I have I use only as a set-up switcher, which works well. I have a lot of repeat work with complex set-ups that can take many hours to complete. Using it just to change set-ups makes the biggest difference for me.

I am assuming your systems are automatic? I am curious to know. You might contact Midaco directly to get further advise about g-code modification. I found their tech-support department to be helpful.

Are you happy with your midacos?

Thanks

Rick

Hi Rick,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.
Yes, my Midaco pallets are Automatic. I have two sets of them. One set on an Okuma 4020 Vertical Mill and the new set on this HAAS VF-5 Mill.
The pallet systems seem to work ok, If we keep them clean. The only big problem we have had is with the existing switches under the pallets.
They point straight up so if the pallet gets lifted a tad which has happened twice now, By the setup man removing the pallet in a changeover. The oil formed a suction between the pallet and the table and lifted the table for a second and when the man let the table back down the switch that had returned to straight up got crushed. (Twice now) so our NC Repair man made new switch arms that are up at a 45 degree so that when the pallet is let back down, The switch just rotates and does not get crushed. Works great and he should get a pat for that. <G> The switches do seem to get sticky too after awhile and will fault if not making the full cycle from on to off.
We have gotten in the habit of flicking the switches occasionally and that seems to cure them.
My Machines are running 3 shifts each day with changeovers about every couple days or so. On some jobs, I am running Hydraulic fixtures with First Op on pallet A and 2nd Op on Pallet B.
I have a program I have written working now. But I am always looking for better ways to do the job.

Good Luck on selling your Pallets.

Have a GREAT WEEK

Mohawk

Back