What's new
What's new

Marposs Laser

Wow, a tough crowd in this forum. I was just wondering if anyone is using the marposs laser for setting tools, and also the secondary software for 3d checking. I haven't seen allot of discussion on the topic so i wondered what everyone is using. Were a small job shop with some surfacing and detail work. Were buying a vm3 and this is an option up in the air right now.

I'm a little confused. You're asking about a laser tool setter, but then mention "3D checking" software. I assume that means in-process and first article type probing. No laser tool setter can do that, so it seems to me you've answered your own question.

I have both spindle and table probe on my VF-2ss and couldn't be happier with them. They are incredibly versatile and easy to use. For the record, I've never used a laser tool setter.

I just bought a Daewoo HP5100 horizontal. I bought it with laser tool checking and spindle probing. I am also purchasing a seat of Verisurf which will drive the probing routines. I have no experience with Maripos lasers but I do with Maripos probes. I have one on my SL10 and it is a POS. I routinely recalibrate it monthly as it is out .003 or more every month.
I'm gonna bet that the Renishaw on the Daewoo will do better.

I would stick with the probe package from Haas unless your going to use the spindle probe on a Fanuc controled machine. Haas pulled some stupid BS with renishaw where you cant take there probe to any other controled machine. if you have several different controls then deffinitley go with a good ole Rennishaw MP so your not forking out 9K for each machine. I learned this the hard way, had a VF5-50 and an EC-1600 and it would interchange. bought a Johnford Gantry mill (stay away from Johnford) with Fanuc and rennishaw said they couldnt interface the haas probes for contract reasons with Haas. I know this is not Renishaws fault but i like there probes and the support you get.

If you ever need a big machine leveled they will come out and shoot it with lasers. our planer mill was shot within .002 over 80' in X and .001 over 12' in Y. Not bad in my book

Back