What's new
What's new

real nice drillpress, wrong voltage

Its a Wilton Strands drill press Type 24529 It's a floor model with about a 5 inch dia coluum, 18 x 24 t slot table, 12 speeds, 4 quill feed speeds, all gear drive, no belts, it must weigh about 500 lbs and it looks like new. now for the bad news, it needs 460 volts 3 phase. I figured I could just rewire it for 220 v, NBD right, WRONG, it does not have the usual wires that you re conect to change the voltage. can it be changed? I don't see how you can change the motor as it is built in the head casting. does anyone have a owners manual I can copy? I guess I'll have to get a transformer to boost the voltage, anyone got an extra one?

An experienced motor rewinder should be able to split each of the three phase windings in half and then wire the two halves in parallel to get a three phase 230V motor.

If it is a single speed motor, it might be possible to pull the leads out and rewire to a lower voltage. If it is a two speed motor, it will be single voltage. If it has a high/off/low selector switch, it is a two speed motor.

The transformer is the economical way to go. You may get lucky like I did when I got a 4KVA 3PH transformer on eBay for $140 including UPS shipping. I can put the 240V from my Snyder phase converter into it and run my 440V two speed motor on my Hardinge TFB-H. Rewinding the motor was quoted at $750 about 20 years ago.

Larry

that would not require much of a transformer. Check on line for surplus transformer dealers. I have used BEE on Long Island. But there are lots others. I would guess that the motor is a hp or less so the transformer is probably ups able.

the motor is built right in the head casting, the field coils bolt to the big ol iron casting the head is made of and the armature goes directly into the gearbox, no belts or pullys. I think it would be a pita to fit a new motor...........

I got a poor photocopy of a manual for my Wilton Strand from WMH Tool Group, who owns the Wilton line. I later got a somewhat better copy from a PM member and would be happy to send it to you , but your model is more complex, with additional speeds and power down feeds.

Parts for these machines through WMH are expensive, as usual. It is possible you could find a 220V DP with gear head issues and a good motor, but most of them had about one HP motors, so there might be dimensional issues that would complicate a swap.

Heck, a new 2-3HP motor (some Leesons, some Baldors) can be obtained through The Surplus Center (no affiliation) for about $200-300 bucks. Even cheaper (sometimes) on ebay. Maybe this is a 5HP motor, but if you bought a lower voltage motor on ebay, and sold the higher voltage one, you might end up with this thing running very inexpensively. At least, compared to a new DP of that quality!

Jim

I thought 230/460 required a 4 pole? With 230 you run in parallel and at 460 you run in series.

So with a 2 speed, you have 2 windings, 1725 and 3450, right? You could put the windings in series and get a 230v motor, but only have 1 speed?

bosleyjr As noted in 2 previous posts the motor is not a separate part that can be removed. The big iron casting that is the head has the motor built in, the motor has no outer case and has only 1 end housing, the field coil bolts to the head casting and the armature goes directly into the gearbox, no belt or pully Yes 1725 and 3450 motor speeds

Ah, sorry to make a suggestion that is not feasible. Sounds like if you used a new motor you'd have to gin up a mount and a drive train. Sounds like a step-up transformer is what you are needing. Or, if you are in an industrial area, how much is a 460V service? Ok, impractical again. Again, my apologies.

Good luck,

Jim

Back