What's new
What's new

SMTC flagged tools

Mike Ortega

Aluminum
Does anyone flag their big tools as heavy? I was curious because I've ran 3 inch face mills, milling chucks and insert drills at full speed without flagging and I get paranoid sometimes it will throw the tool since it warns to flag the large ones. It hasnt yet so I was just wondering if it has happened to anyone. The only tool I leave flagged is the probe. That goes without saying.

If I have doubts I will, I have seen the results of the thrown tool and the next tool starting without the missing tools work having been done. In the big picture a thrown tool would cost more time and money than the 1/2 second or so you save with the faster tool change. the older ones are not as scary as the new ss, damn that thing moves.

IIRC the heavy tool flag only matters on Super Speed mills that have a really fast tool change time for light tools and slows down to what a normal mill does for the heavy tools.

I have my 3" face mill and my probe flagged as heavy just to have that piece of mind, however a huge order for me is 100 parts, so shaving a few seconds of cycle time isn't really my thing.

Back