What's new
What's new

Terminal Identification on a Siemens motor

rjibosh

Hot Rolled
I have a Seimens Schuckert 220v 1.0/1.5 KW 3Ph two speed motor.
I would like to run it with a 2HP VFD and have the following questions:

1) There are six terminals: UA VA WA

UB VB WB

If the terminals UA,VA,WA are connected to the three wires of the vfd will the motor run?

2) If the terminals UB, VB, WB are connected to the vfd, will the motor run at the other rated speed?

3) If the answer to the above two questions is yes and I only want to run at one speed, what do I do with the three unused terminals? Just isolate each one? (tape each wire)

4) The motor powers a gear driven machine. If I run the motor on the lower speed range, I can usually get enough speed variance from the transmission. But significantly less than .75KW would be a negative. I would prefer to run the transmission and all those gears at a lower speed if I could. So whats better: low speed windings and full frequency or high speed windings and reduced frequency?

Thanks

Rick

"Normally, the high speed winding at reduced frequency."

So frequency has little effect on net HP? (within reason)

How about the wire configuration? Is UA VA WA to L1 L2 L3 and UB VB WB all isolated OK?

Thanks

Rick

I am assuming this is a two-winding, two-speed motor, which means both windings are Y.

Simply disconnecting the unused winding is sufficient for Y (but not for ∆).

Most drives are constant torque (but variable horsepower) below the base speed (60 Hz) and are constant horsepower (but variable torque) above base speed.

This motor appears to be rated similarly for both speeds, unlike some where the lower speed is also one-half the rated horsepower.

Let me revise my original recommendation: use the higher rated horsepower winding, which is usually, but not always the higher speed winding. If both windings are similarly rated, then use whichever winding which gets you into the speed range you need.

"Is UA VA WA to L1 L2 L3 and UB VB WB all isolated OK?"

Yes, exactly.

Back