What's new
What's new

Haas VF-0 ?

Mike Powell

Stainless
I just spoted a Haas VF-0 that will be at auction.

Can anyone give me some specs on these machines? (working envelope, spindle, HP at spindle, year range of production)
Are they generaly good?
Is there anything that I should watch out for with this model?
Will they run with Mastercam?

The unit in question has low hours and we want it four our High School machine shop.

Thaks all for your time!

Mike Powell

VF-0 For High School?

Mike,

I think you might want to take a look at Haas web site with an eye on the VF-1 specs for a similar machine. IIRC, the VF-0 was basically a VF-1 with no gearbox. Later they dropped the 0 from the lineup and made the gearbox optional on the VF-1.

Date of mfg. of the machine your looking at will be on the data plate on the machine, near the serial number.

You and your school might also want to contact Haas and see what help if any they'd offer in setting you up with a new machine. Seems to me you'd be well served by something like the Minimill or maybe even a Toolroom mill like the TM-1. Leave off the enclosure and the coolant, no options, price might rival or be better than that of the VF-0 you're looking at.

Thanks for the replys

Thanks for your help guys. I am aware of what a tool room machine costs new. Haas will give us a 10% discount on a new machine. We would like to get a tool room machine with no tool changer or enclosure. I am hoping to get this one for a real deal. I am waiting for someone at the machines current home to give me a call tomorrow.

With any luck we will be able to get an exceptional deal. However I saw one of these for sale on the net today listing at 27K. That is alot more than the new tool room machine would cost us.

Mike

I am curious as to why you would opt not to have a tool change, cost? To me I would think it would give teaching a broader spectrum of possibilites instead of being limited by one tool at a time. I found when I had a single tool machine I wound up thinking about how to use a tool for purposes other then what it was designed for, just to avoid a tool change.

Why not?

The sole reason for not having a tool changer on the mill is 100% cost motivated. We are trying to get our foot in the door however budgets are tighter than ever. I think having a cadilac machine with all the bells and whistles would be fantastic. However I am unsure if I will even be given the greenlight on a basic machine.

Mike

I figured as much. It's such a shame that soooo much money is spent on education in this country and so little of it finds it's way to the students.

I applaude you for trying...we don't even have schools around here teaching the machine trade anymore. All people around here know about our trade is "Oh yeah like the guys on American Chopper...can you make rims?"

Back